Author's Note: 10 Fictional Spacecraft We Wish Were Real
You don't have to look far on the Internet to find a top 10, 20 or 100 list of awesome fictional spacecraft. All they really have to do is look awesome and do gnarly things. In this article, I attempted to highlight spaceships that illuminate something real about the dream of true cosmic exploration. What hurdles do we have to overcome? What holds us back from, as Carl Sagan puts it, wading out from this shore on the cosmic ocean?
Plus, yeah, I made sure to pick some extremely gnarly spaceships. I hope you enjoyed reading about them as much as I enjoyed writing about them.
- Is it possible to travel to another star?
- Will we ever have spaceships parked in our garages?
- How the Space Race Worked
- Will space tourism ever be a reality?
- Can you make your own homemade spacecraft?
- Will real-life space ships ever be able to go 'warp speed'?
- Is warp speed possible?
More Great Links
- Adams, Douglas. "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Pan Books. 1979.
- Banks, Iain M. "The Player of Games." 1988. Macmillan.
- "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage." The Science Channel. 1980.
- "Dead Space" Official Web site. Electronic Arts. 2012 (Feb. 22, 2012) http://deadspace.ea.com/
- "Farscape." The Jim Henson Company. 1999.
- Games Workshop. 2012 (Feb. 22, 2012) http://www.games-workshop.com
- Herbert, Frank. "Dune." 1965. Chilton Books.
- Morrison, Grant. "The Invisibles Vol. 7: The Invisible Kingdom." Dec. 1, 2002.
- "SDF-1." Robotech.com. 2012. (Feb. 16, 2012) http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/mecha/viewmecha.php?id=6
- Tyson, Neil deGrasse. Personal interview. Sept. 22, 2011. (Feb. 16, 2012) http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2011/09/22/stbym-interview-astrophysicist-neil-degrasse-tyson/
- United Nations. "Deforestation in decline but rate remains alarming, UN agency says." UN News Centre. March 25, 2010. (Feb. 17, 2012) http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=34195