Lots More Information
What does it take to turn a spaceship into a museum piece? Find out what it takes to turn a spaceship into a museum piece.
Author's Note: 10 Fictional Spacecraft We Wish Were Real
You don't have to look far on the Internet to find a top 10, 20 or 100 list of awesome fictional spacecraft. All they really have to do is look awesome and do gnarly things. In this article, I attempted to highlight spaceships that illuminate something real about the dream of true cosmic exploration. What hurdles do we have to overcome? What holds us back from, as Carl Sagan puts it, wading out from this shore on the cosmic ocean?
Plus, yeah, I made sure to pick some extremely gnarly spaceships. I hope you enjoyed reading about them as much as I enjoyed writing about them.
More Great Links
- Adams, Douglas. "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Pan Books. 1979.
- Banks, Iain M. "The Player of Games." 1988. Macmillan.
- "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage." The Science Channel. 1980.
- "Dead Space" Official Web site. Electronic Arts. 2012 (Feb. 22, 2012) http://deadspace.ea.com/
- "Farscape." The Jim Henson Company. 1999.
- Games Workshop. 2012 (Feb. 22, 2012) http://www.games-workshop.com
- Herbert, Frank. "Dune." 1965. Chilton Books.
- Morrison, Grant. "The Invisibles Vol. 7: The Invisible Kingdom." Dec. 1, 2002.
- "SDF-1." Robotech.com. 2012. (Feb. 16, 2012) http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/mecha/viewmecha.php?id=6
- Tyson, Neil deGrasse. Personal interview. Sept. 22, 2011. (Feb. 16, 2012) http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2011/09/22/stbym-interview-astrophysicist-neil-degrasse-tyson/
- United Nations. "Deforestation in decline but rate remains alarming, UN agency says." UN News Centre. March 25, 2010. (Feb. 17, 2012) http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=34195