Lots More Information
Relying on a collapsed star to power our lives on Earth might seem like a good solution to our energy crisis, but the process might be lethal.
Author's Note: 10 Superstitions About Stars
The first time I really saw the stars, I was in my early 20s. Sure, I'd taken a peek up at the night sky once or twice before then, but because I grew up in a busy east coast city, I never really got to see much. It wasn't until I took a cross-country road trip after college and ended up camping in a secluded area in eastern Texas that I really saw the night sky in all its glory. When you finally get to see the full effect of a sky full of stars, it's easy to understand just why ancient people were so fascinated — and why they believed they might find answers in those far-off spots of light.
- Dillon, Charles Raymond. "Superstitions and Folk Remedies." iUniverse. March 1, 2001. (Jan. 5, 2015) https://books.google.com/books?id=_LHh5Dgi1EEC&dq=superstitions+about+stars&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Goldsmith, Milton. "Signs, Omens and Superstitions." G. Sully. 1918. (Jan. 5, 2015) https://books.google.com/books?id=ZDUSAAAAYAAJ&vq=shooting+star&dq=superstitions+about+stars+and+the+sky&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Murrell, Deborah. "Superstitions: 1,013 of the Wackiest Myths, Fables and Old Wives' Tales." Amber Books. 2008.
- NASA. "How Many Solar Systems Are in Our Galaxy?" (Jan. 5, 2015) http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/dr-marc-space/solar-systems-in-galaxy.html
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). "Fishermen of the United States: Superstitions." June 8, 2006. (Jan. 5, 2015) http://www.history.noaa.gov/stories_tales/superstition.html
- Radford, Edwin and Mona Augusta Radford. "The Encyclopedia of Superstitions." Barnes & Noble Publishing. 1961.
- Rao, Joe. "Reading the Weather Using the Sun, Moon and Stars." April 26, 2011. (Jan. 5, 2015) http://www.livescience.com/30374-weather-sun-moon-stars-prediction.html
- Roud, Steve. "The Penguin Guide to the Superstitions of Britain and Ireland." Penguin UK. 2006.
- Thomas, Daniel Lindsey and Lucy Blayney Thomas. "Kentucky Superstitions." Princeton University Press. 1920. (Jan. 5, 2015) https://books.google.com/books?id=6GbYAAAAMAAJ&dq=birthday+superstitions&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Webster, Richard. "The Encyclopedia of Superstitions." Llewellyn Publications. 2008.