The rarity of gold is just one reason why people value the precious metal. Learn why gold inspires men to wage war and how we find and refine gold.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- What one thing should I recycle?
- How Recycling Works
- How Transparent Aluminum Armor Works
- What if I put aluminum foil in the microwave?
- Biting on aluminum foil can be painful. Why?
- What is in an antiperspirant that stops sweat?
- Is it possible to fix a blown fuse with a chewing gum wrapper?
- Top 10 Everyday Car Technologies that Came from Racing
More Great Links
- International Aluminum Institute Web Site
- Alcoa Web Site
- Novelis Web Site
- Can Manufacturers Institute
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Dept. of Health and Human Services. "What is Aluminum?" May 21, 2008. (Sept. 22, 2008)
- Alcoa. "Aluminum smelting." (Sept. 22, 2008)
- Alcoa. "It All Starts with Dirt." 2002. (Sept. 22, 2008)
- Bowman, Kenneth A. "Aluminum." World Book Multimedia Encyclopedia. 2004.
- Can Manufacturers Institute. "Beverage Can Data, 1970-2005." (Sept. 22, 2008)
- Dickson, T.R. "Introduction to Chemistry." John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1995.
- "European Automakers To Increase Use Of Aluminum." Autoparts Report, BNET Business Network. July 17, 2001. (Sept. 22, 2008)
- Fuller, Harry. "Aluminum, hydrogen and a fuel for our future?" CNET News. June 28, 2007. (Sept. 22, 2008)
- Hosford, William F. and John L. Duncan. "The Aluminum Beverage Can." Scientific American. September 2004.
- HyperPhysics. "Abundance of the Elements in the Earth's Crust." 2005. (Sept. 23, 2008)
- International Aluminum Institute. "About Aluminum." 2008. (Sept. 22, 2008)
- Investor's Business Daily. "Charles Martin Hall." Oct. 6, 2006. (Sept. 22, 2008)
- Levengood, Paul. "War emergency helped build Reynolds Metals." Virginia Business Magazine. May 2006. (Sept. 22, 2008)
- Robinson, Gregory H. "Aluminum." Chemical & Engineering News Web site. (Sept. 22, 2008)