It seems to me that compounding pharmacies must be (somewhat frustratingly) taken on a case-by-case basis. Because the FDA is regulating patents and manufacturing and the states' pharmacy boards aren't necessarily set up to oversee the safety of compounding pharmacies, you're left with pharmacies that must set their own strict standards and compliance. Check their accreditations with professional organizations and always practice due diligence when it comes to your health care.
- What's a compounding pharmacy?
- How Wireless Drug Delivery Works
- 5 Benefits of Electronic Medical Records
- 5 Ways Birth Control Can Trip Up Your Love Life
- How Food Safety Organizations Work
- The Associated Press. "Calls to regulate specialty pharmacies." SFGate.com. Oct. 14, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Calls-to-regulate-specialty-pharmacies-3948141.php
- The Associated Press. "FDA regulation of pharmacies has knotty history." National Public Radio. Oct. 12, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=162801940
- The Associated Press. "The brothers-in-law at the heart of the meningitis outbreak." NBCNews.com. Oct. 14, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/14/14434211-the-brothers-in-law-at-the-heart-of-the-fungal-meningitis-investigation
- Begley, Sharon. "Insight: How compounding pharmacies rallied patients to fight regulation." Reuters. Oct. 16, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/16/us-usa-health-meningitis-compounding-idUSBRE89F05Y20121016
- Gaffney, Alexander. "Meningitis outbreak places spotlight on FDA's regulation of compounding pharmacies." Regulatory Affairs Professional Society. Oct. 5, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.raps.org/focus-online/news/news-article-view/article/2356/meningitis-outbreak-places-spotlight-on-fdas-regulation-of-compounding-pharmaci.aspx
- Gale, Sonia. Pharmacy Director (PharmD). Personal interview. Oct. 17, 2012.
- Grady, Denise; Tavernise, Sabrina and Pollack, Andrew. "In a drug linked to a deadly meningitis outbreak, a question of oversight." The New York Times. Oct. 4, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/health/news-analysis-a-question-of-oversight-on-compounding-pharmacies.html?_r=0
- International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists. "Web site." 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.iacprx.org/
- Johnson, Carolyn Y. and Lazar, Kay. "A close look at compounding pharmacies." The Boston Globe. Oct. 15, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/10/14/meningitis-outbreak-focuses-attention-niche-compounding-pharmacy-business/dapSiH7vHO4w7PrpZfgeOM/story.html
- Pharmacy Compounding Accreditation Board. "Web site." 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.pcab.org/
- Pittman, David and Smith, Michael. "Compounding Pharmacies: Where's the Oversight?" MedPage Today. Oct. 12, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/FDAGeneral/35294