Lots More Information
Author's Note: How Astronauts Work
The end of America's space shuttle program brought tears to the eyes of just about anyone interested in space travel. Happily, private companies have briskly brought their experience and financial brawn to space missions of all kinds. Rather than mourn the end of the government-driven era of space exploration, we can now cheer for corporations to achieve what public programs could not. The end result may be faster advances in both technology and knowledge.
- How Zero-gravity Flights Work
- How the Apollo Spacecraft Worked
- How Space Elevators Will Work
- How Space Tourism Will Work
- Atkinson, Nancy. "The Soyuz Rocket and Launch Sequence Explained." Universe Today . Aug. 8, 2013. (Aug. 9, 2013) http://www.universetoday.com/103988/the-soyuz-rocket-and-launch-sequence-explained/
- Coppinger, Rob. "Private Space Travel to Make Giant Leaps in 2013." Space.com. Jan. 1, 2013. (Aug. 9, 2013) http://www.space.com/19086-private-space-travel-leaps-2013.html
- el-Hasan, Muhammed. "SpaceX Wins Three-Satellite Canadian Launch Contract." PressTelegram.com. Aug. 7, 2013. (Aug. 9, 2013) http://www.presstelegram.com/article/zz/20130730/NEWS/130739688
- Engelbert, Phyllis and Dupuis, Diane L. "The Handy Space Answer Book." Visible Ink Press. Michigan. 1998.
- Gamble, Allen O., Ph.D. "Personal Recollections of the Selection of the First Seven Astronauts." http://scottcarpenter.com/essay6_1.html
- Gannon, Megan. "Virgin Galactic Signs Female Space Tourist as 600th Customer." Space.com. Jun. 1, 2013. (Aug. 9, 2013) http://www.space.com/21595-virgin-galactic-spaceshiptwo-female-astronauts.html
- Halvorson, Todd. "Soyuz Launches, Arrives at Space Station in a Day." USAtoday.com. May 29, 2013. (Aug. 9, 2013) http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/05/29/soyuz-arrives-at-space-station/2368327/
- Klotz, Irene. "Blue Origin Wary of Sharing Launch Pad with SLS." Spacenews.com. Aug. 8, 2013. (Aug. 9, 2013) http://www.spacenews.com/article/launch-report/36701blue-origin-wary-of-sharing-launch-pad-with-sls
- Lewis, Tanya. "Why Take a One-Way Trip to Mars? Aspiring Colonists Explain." Nbcnews.com. Aug. 5, 2013. (Aug. 9, 2013) http://www.nbcnews.com/science/why-take-one-way-trip-mars-aspiring-colonists-explain-6C10848195
- Moskowitz, Clara. "Want to Live on Mars? Private Martian Colony Project Seeks Astronauts." Space.com. Apr. 22, 2013. (Aug. 9, 2013) http://www.space.com/20758-private-mars-one-colony-astronauts.html
- Messier, Doug. "Virgin Galactic's Private Spaceship Offering Enticing Science Opportunities." Yahoo News. Jul. 19, 2013. (Aug. 9, 2013) http://news.yahoo.com/virgin-galactics-private-spaceship-offers-enticing-science-opportunities-202505934.html
- NASA. "Astronaut." http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/astronaut_worldbook.html
- NASA. "Astronaut Selection." http://nasajobs.nasa.gov/astronauts/
- NASA. "Astronauts." http://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/index.html
- NASA. "Help Wanted: Astronauts." http://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/recruit.html
- NASA. "Human Space Flight." NASA.gov. http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/home/index.html
- NASA. "Johnson Space Center." http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/home/index.html
- NASA. "Kennedy Space Center." http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/home/index.html
- NASA. "Soyuz Launch Preparation." http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/soyuz/launch.html
- Schwartz, John. "For U.S. Astronauts, a Russian Second Home." NYtimes.com. Oct. 13, 2008.
- Sparrow, Giles. "Space Flight: The Complete Story from Sputnik to Shuttle -- and Beyond." DK Publishing, New York, 2007.
- Upadhyaya, Preeti. "How to Plan Your Space Vacation." Bizjournals.com. Jul. 18, 2013.