Lots More InformationAuthor's Note: What's a compounding pharmacy?
Before compounding pharmacies were in the news, I had no idea that one of the biggest pharmacy retailers in our town compounded. Although I was initially skeptical about the point of compounding pharmacies, I've come around to see that there can be a benefit to a custom-made alternative to Big Pharma. Especially when my alternative is horse urine.Related Articles
- Are compounding pharmacies regulated?
- How Wireless Drug Delivery Works
- 5 Benefits of Electronic Medical Records
- 5 Ways Birth Control Can Trip Up Your Love Life
- How Food Safety Organizations Work
- The Associated Press. "Calls to regulate specialty pharmacies." SFGate.com. Oct. 14, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Calls-to-regulate-specialty-pharmacies-3948141.php
- The Associated Press. "FDA regulation of pharmacies has knotty history." National Public Radio. Oct. 12, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=162801940
- The Associated Press. "The brothers-in-law at the heart of the meningitis outbreak." NBCNews.com. Oct. 14, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/14/14434211-the-brothers-in-law-at-the-heart-of-the-fungal-meningitis-investigation
- Begley, Sharon. "Insight: How compounding pharmacies rallied patients to fight regulation." Reuters. Oct. 16, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/16/us-usa-health-meningitis-compounding-idUSBRE89F05Y20121016
- Gaffney, Alexander. "Meningitis outbreak places spotlight on FDA's regulation of compounding pharmacies." Regulatory Affairs Professional Society. Oct. 5, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.raps.org/focus-online/news/news-article-view/article/2356/meningitis-outbreak-places-spotlight-on-fdas-regulation-of-compounding-pharmaci.aspx
- Gale, Sonia. Pharmacy Director (PharmD). Personal interview. Oct. 17, 2012.
- Grady, Denise; Tavernise, Sabrina and Pollack, Andrew. "In a drug linked to a deadly meningitis outbreak, a question of oversight." The New York Times. Oct. 4, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/health/news-analysis-a-question-of-oversight-on-compounding-pharmacies.html?_r=0
- International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists. "Web site." 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.iacprx.org/
- Johnson, Carolyn Y. and Lazar, Kay. "A close look at compounding pharmacies." The Boston Globe. Oct. 15, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/10/14/meningitis-outbreak-focuses-attention-niche-compounding-pharmacy-business/dapSiH7vHO4w7PrpZfgeOM/story.html
- Pharmacy Compounding Accreditation Board. "Web site." 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.pcab.org/
- Pittman, David and Smith, Michael. "Compounding Pharmacies: Where's the Oversight?" MedPage Today. Oct. 12, 2012. (Oct. 19, 2012) http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/FDAGeneral/35294