Biodiversity (or how much biological difference you can pack into a spot) is important no to all ecosystems. Learn more about biodiversity.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Will we soon be extinct?
- How Dinosaurs Work
- How Fossils Work
- How the Earth Works
- How Evolution Works
- Are we at the beginning of the end of Western civilization?
- Are we entering the sixth major extinction on Earth?
- How are humans different from our ancestors?
- What life forms on Earth are close to extinction?
- When will life on Earth end?
More Great Links
- 2010 International Year of Biodiversity Web site. http://www.cbd.int/2010/welcome/
- "Ask the Experts: DeeAnn Reeder on bat research" Bucknell University. Feb. 4, 2010. http://www.bucknell.edu/x58280.xml
- "Are We Pushing Earth's Environmental Tipping Points?" Scientific American. March 19, 2010. http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=are-we-pushing-the-earths-environme-10-03-19
- "Bee Afraid, Bee Very Afraid." Scientific American. August 14, 2009. http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=bee-afraid-bee-very-afraid-09-08-14
- Carey, Bjorn. "The Perils of Being Huge: Why Large Creatures Go Extinct." Live Science. July 18, 2006. (8/25/2010) http://www.livescience.com/animals/060718_big_animals.html
- "The Importance of Insects." Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. March 11, 2002. http://www.riverdeep.net/current /2002/03/030402t_insects.jhtml
- The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. http://www.iucnredlist.org/
- "The World is Hungry Because the World is Thirsty." Food and Agriculture Organization. 2009. http://www.fao.org/nr/water/art/2009/pphungry-thirsty.pdf
- Vermaas, Wim. "An Introduction to Photosynthesis and Its Applications." Arizona State University. June 12, 2007. http://photoscience.la.asu.edu/photosyn/education/photointro.html
- "Why Save Endangered Species?" U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. July 2005. http://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-library/pdf/Why_Save_Endangered_Species_Brochure.pdf
- Whitty, Jennifer. "Animal Extinction - the greatest threat to mankind." The Independent. April 30, 2007. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/animal-extinction--the-greatest-threat-to-mankind-397939.html
- Wilson, Edward and Peter, Francis. "Biodiversity, Volume 1." National Academy of Sciences and the Smithsonian Institution. March 16, 1998. http://books.google.com/books?id=MkUrAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA21&ots=AyXtCAQcps&dq=what's%20worse%20loss%20of%20plant%20diversity%20or%20loss%20of%20animal%20diversity%3F&lr&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false
- WWF Web site. (7/27/2010) http://www.worldwildlife.org/home.html