Fossils of extinct hominids are fascinating finds. Find out what we've learned from these 10 extinct hominids.
Author's Note: Could we resurrect dinosaurs from fossil embryos?
For every botanist who fears Cretaceous kudzu, there are two pharmaceutical reps salivating over Mesozoic Minoxidil. Me, I side with the folks who are in it for the wonder, pure and simple -- the wonder born of books, of bags of varicolored plastic reptiles and of Ray Harryhausen films.
- Barrett, P.M. P. Upchurch and W. Xiao-Lin. "Cranial Osteology of Lufengosaurus Huenei Young (Dinosauria: Prosauropoda) from the Lower Jurassic of Yunnan, People's Republic of China." Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology. Vol. 25, no. 4. Page 806. 2005.
- Bayles, Ken. "The Biological Significance of Bacterial Biofilm." University of Nebraska Medical Center/Nebraska Public Health Laboratory. http://www.nphl.org/documents/TheBiologicalSignificanceofBacterialBiofilm.pdf
- BBC. "Sauropod Dinosaurs." http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Sauropoda
- BBC. "Sauropodomorph Dinosaurs." http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Sauropodomorpha
- Crisp, Edward. "Sauropodomorpha: The Prosauropods and the Sauropods." Lecture 1: Geology 397: Special Topics: Introduction to Paleontology. http://www.wvup.edu/ecrisp/lec11-sauropodamorpha.html
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Aurochs." http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/43404/aurochs
- Gannon, Megan. "Jurassic Park Won't Happen: Dino DNA Dead." Oct. 10, 2012. http://news.discovery.com/animals/dinosaurs/dinosaur-dna-fossil-decay-jurassic-park-clone-121010.htm
- Gilbert, Scott F. "Pressure as a Developmental Agent." DevBio, a Companion to Developmental Biology Ninth Edition.
- Horner, Jack. "Shape-shifting Dinosaurs." TED Talk. November 2011. http://www.ted.com/talks/jack_horner_shape_shifting_dinosaurs.html
- Kaye, Thomas, Gary Gaugler and Zbigniew Sawlowicz. "Dinosaurian Soft Tissues Interpreted as Bacterial Biofilms." PLoS ONE. Vol. 3, no. 7. Page e2808.
- Kolata, Gina. "Dolly, the First Cloned Mammal, is Dead." The New York Times. Feb. 14, 2003. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/14/science/life/14CND-DOLL.html
- Kolata, Gina. "So You're Extinct? Scientists Have Gleam in Eye." The New York Times. March 18, 2013. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/science/earth/research-to-bring-back-extinct-frog-points-to-new-path-and-quandaries.html?ref=cloning&_r=0
- Mabry, Marcus. "Bringing Back the Dead: The Ethics of Reversing Extinction." The New York Times . March 19, 2013. http://nyti.ms/ZXP18s
- Reisz, Robert R., Timothy D. Huang, Eric M. Roberts, Shin Rung Peng, Corwin Sullivan, Koen Stein, Aaron R. H. LeBlanc, Dar Bin Shieh, Rong Seng Chang, Cheng Cheng Chiang, Chuanwei Yang and Shiming Zhong. "Embryology of Early Jurassic Dinosaur from China with Evidence of Preserved Organic Remains." Nature. Vol. 496. Page 210. April 2013. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v496/n7444/full/nature11978.html
- Schweitzer, Mary H., Jennifer L. Wittmeyer and John R. Horner. "Soft Tissue and Cellular Preservation in Vertebrate Skeletal Elements from the Cretaceous to the Present." Proceedings of the Royal Society B. Vol. 274. Page 183. 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1685849/
- Schweitzer, Mary H., Jennifer L. Wittmeyer, John R. Horner and Jan K. Toporski. "Soft Tissue Vessels and Cellular Preservation in Tyrannosaurus Rex." Science. Vol. 307. Page 1952. 2005. http://www.researchgate.net/publication/7944782_Soft-tissue_vessels_and_cellular_preservation_in_Tyrannosaurus_rex/file/d912f50b8a8fb3c9d3.pdf
- Than, Ker. "Baby Dinosaurs Flexed Muscles Inside Their Eggs." National Geographic. April 10, 2013. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130410-lufengosaurus-oldest-baby-dinosaur-embryo-paleontology/
- University of Bristol. "Sauropod Eggs." Department of Earth Sciences. http://palaeo.gly.bris.ac.uk/palaeofiles/eggs/Types/sauropods.html
- World Book. "Lufengosaurus." http://www.worldbook.com/content-spotlight/item/1362-dinosaurs/1362-dinosaurs?start=1
- Zimmer, Carl. "Bringing Them Back to Life." National Geographic. April 2013. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/04/species-revival/zimmer-text