Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Does fertilizer help or hurt my lawn?
- What is gray water, and can it solve the global water crisis?
- How Composting Works
- How Sewer and Septic Systems Work
- How Toilets Work
More Great Links
- International Water Management Institute
- National Geographic News: "Human Waste Used by 200 Million Farmers, Study Says"
- WHO: Drinking Water Quality
- Connecticut Department of Environment Protection. "Agricultural Wastewater."http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2721&Q=325688
- Eichenseher, Tasha. "Human Waste Used by 200 Million Farmers, Study Says." National Geographic News. August 21, 2008.http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/08/080821-human-waste.html
- Ensink, Jeroen HJ, et al. "Wastewater Quality and the Risk of Intestinal Nematode Infection in Sewage Farming Families in Hyderabad, India." Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 79(4), 2008, pp. 561-567.http://www.ajtmh.org/cgi/content/abstract/79/4/561
- IWMI. "Reuse of Wastewater for Agriculture." Research Themes. http://www.iwmi.cgiar.org/health/wastew/
- Jia, Hepeng. "Wastewater 'widely used' in urban agriculture, report finds." SciDevNet. August 19, 2008.http://www.scidev.net/en/agriculture-and-environment/land-water-pollution/news/wastewater-widely-used-in-urban-agriculture-report.html
- TerraDaily. "Metropolitan Wastewater Ends Up In Urban Agriculture." August 18, 2008.http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Metropolitan_Wastewater_Ends_Up_In_Urban_Agriculture_999.html