Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Sewer and Septic Systems Work
- Can water go bad?
- How Hurricanes Work
- What is a Nor'easter?
- What causes high tide and low tide?
- Is there a 400 pound lobster out there?
- How Rip Currents Work
- How do they measure sea level?
More Great Links
- "'Dead zone' in Gulf of Mexico among top 3 ever mapped." Associated Press. CNN.com. July 29, 2007. http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/07/29/dead.zone.ap/index.html
- "Distribution of HABs in the US." The Harmful Algae Page. http://www.whoi.edu/redtide/HABdistribution/HABmap.html
- "Gulf dead zone to be biggest ever." BBC News. July 18, 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6904249.stm
- "Harmful Algal Blooms." Texas Parks and Wildlife. Feb. 9, 2007. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/environconcerns/hab/
- "Hypoxia & Nutrient Pollution." Center for Sponsored Coastal Ocean Research. NOAA. April 12, 2007. http://www.cop.noaa.gov/stressors/pollution/welcome.html
- "In Depth: Red Tide." Herald Tribune. Feb. 21, 2007. http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?CATEGORY=NEWS20§ioncat=134090
- "intensive agriculture." Encyclopaedia Britannica. 2007. Encyclopaedia Britannica Online. 23 July 2007. http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9042533/intensive-agriculture
- "Intensive farming v. organic farming." BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/biology/livingthingsenvironment/4foodandsustainabilityrev5.shtml
- "NOAA Predicts Above Normal 2007 Atlantic Hurricane Season." NOAA Magazine. http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2864.htm
- "Record Size Dead Zone Forecast in Gulf of Mexico." Environment News Service. July 20, 2007. http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jul2007/2007-07-20-09.asp
- "Red Tide and Harmful Algal Blooms." The Harmful Algae Page. Jan. 22, 2007. http://www.whoi.edu/redtide/
- "Report: Oxygen-depleted 'dead zone' growing in Gulf." Associated Press. CNN.com. July 17, 2007. http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/07/17/gulf.deadzone.ap/
- "The Causes of Hypoxia in the Northern Gulf of Mexico." NOAA. http://www.ncddc.noaa.gov/ecosystems/hypoxia/images/hypox_finalcauses.pdf
- "The Problem of Hypoxia in the Northern Gulf of Mexico." NOAA. http://www.ncddc.noaa.gov/ecosystems/hypoxia/images/hypox_finalprob.pdf
- Cox, Tony. "As ethanol demand grows, so does 'Dead Zone' in Gulf of Mexico." Bloomberg News. International Herald Tribune. July 23, 2007. http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/22/bloomberg/bxdead.php
- O'Neil, Dennis. "Intensive Agriculture." Patterns of Subsistence. http://anthro.palomar.edu/subsistence/sub_5.htm
- Spinner, Kate. "Dead zone looks to be expanding in Gulf of Mexico." Herald Tribune. July 20, 2007. http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070720/NEWS/707200510
- Vosgerchian, Jessica. "What's eerie about Erie?" Michigan Daily. Nov. 14, 2006. http://media.www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2006/11/14/State/Whats.Eerie.About.Erie-2458015.shtml?norewrite200611141537&sourcedomain=www.michigandaily.com&mkey=2200913
- Zabarenko, Deborah. "Gulf of Mexico "dead zone" could expand this year." Reuters UK. July 17, 2007. http://uk.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUKN1723032420070717