Drones give farmers a fresh look at what's happening with their crops. Find out how drones are changing agriculture at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: Did the Mayan Civilization End Because of Climate Change?
When I was researching this article, what fascinated me the most was reading old newspaper stories about Charles Lindbergh and other early 20th century explorers who searched for ancient Mayan cities in the Central American jungle. There was a thrilling, Indiana Jones sort of quality to these accounts, as the searchers ventured into remote areas where outsiders had never visited, at least not in the memory of that time. Today, sadly, there's precious little unexplored territory left on the planet, so the chance of anyone having such an adventure -- or of making such an incredible discovery -- is exceedingly remote.
- Associated Press. "How Lindy Found Lost City Is Told." Sarasota Herald-Tribune. July 31, 1929. (November 11, 2012) http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=nuIhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=K2QEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2185,1948745&dq=lindbergh+yucatan+pyramid+city&hl=en
- Boyle, Rebecca. "Political Strife Caused By Climate Change Doomed The Mayans." Popsci.com. Nov. 9, 2012. (Nov. 28, 2012) http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-11/political-strife-caused-climate-change-doomed-maya
- Brewbaker, James L. "Diseases of Maize in the Wet Lowland Tropics and the Collapse of the Classic Maya Civilization." Economic Botany. 1979. (November 19, 2012) http://www.springerlink.com/content/l2167t2v51850pu6/
- Britannica.com. "Maya." Britannica.com. Undated. (November 18, 2012) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/370759/Maya
- Diamond, Jared. "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed." Penguin. 2005. (November 19, 2012) http://books.google.com/books/about/Collapse.html?id=QyzHKSCYSmsC
- Haug, Gerald H. etal. "Climate and the Collapse of Mayan Civilization." Science. March 14, 2003. (November 18, 2012) ftp://ftp.geosci.usyd.edu.au/pub/dietmar/GEOS2115_Reading_Material/Paleoceanography/Haug_etal_maya_collapse_climate_change_Science2003.pdf
- Johnson, Toni. "Deforestation and Greenhouse Gas Emissions." Council on Foreign Relations. December 21, 2009. (November 19, 2012) http://www.cfr.org/natural-resources-management/deforestation-greenhouse-gas-emissions/p14919
- McKillop, Heather Irene. "The Ancient Maya: New Perspectives." ABC-CLIO, Inc. 2004. (November 19, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=BmPpbB2cXu4C&pg=PA97&dq=mayan+collapse+theories&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5WOqUNKqA-qy0QH-qoDwDA&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=mayan%20collapse%20theories&f=false
- NASA. "The Rise and Fall of the Mayan Empire." Nasa.gov. April 6, 2011. (November 18, 2012) http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2004/15nov_maya/
- Schuster, Angela M. H. "Rituals of the Modern Maya." Archaeology. July/August 1997. (Nov. 28, 2012) http://www.archaeology.org/9707/etc/maya.html
- ScienceDaily. "Classic Maya Civilization Collapse Related to Modest Rainfall Reductions, Research Suggests." Sciencedaily.com. February 22, 2012. (November 18, 2012). http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120223142455.htm
- University of Michigan. "Global Deforestation." Globalchange.umich.edu. Undated. (November 19, 2012) http://www.globalchange.umich.edu/globalchange2/current/lectures/deforest/deforest.html
- U.S. Forest Service. "Value of Urban Trees." U.S. Forest Service. Undated. (Nov. 28, 2012) http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/uf/techguide/values.htm
- U.S. Global Change Research Program. "Global Climate Change." Globalchange.gov. Undated. (November 19, 2012)http://www.globalchange.gov/publications/reports/scientific-assessments/us-impacts/full-report/global-climate-change
- Wolchover, Natalie. "NASA Crushes 2012 Mayan Apocalypse Claims." Scientific American. March 9, 2012. (November 19, 2012) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nasa-crushes-2012-mayan-apocalypse-claims