Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Why could China's Three Gorges Dam cause an environmental disaster?
- How the Panama Canal Works
- What if the Hoover Dam broke?
- How Earthquakes Work
- How does a seismograph work? What is the Richter scale?
More Great Links
- Scientific American: China's Three Gorges Dam: An Environmental Catastrophe? -- March 25, 2008
- The New York Times: Possible Link Between Dam and China Quake -- Feb. 5, 2009
- "Dam-induced Seismicity." International Rivers.http://internationalrivers.org/en/node/1477
- "Earthquakes Caused by Dams: 'Reservoir-Triggered/Induced Seismicity.'" Probe International.http://www.probeinternational.org/files/dam%20triggeredearthquakes.pdf
- "Earthquakes Triggered By Dams." International Rivers.http://www.internationalrivers.org/en/node/3845
- Hvistendahl, Mara. "China's Three Gorges Dam: An Environmental Catastrophe?" Scientific American. March 25, 2008.http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=chinas-three-gorges-dam-disaster&print=true
- Kirby, Alex. "'Earthquake risk' from dams." BBC News. May 9, 2002.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1974736.stm
- LaFraniere, Sharon. "Possible Link Between Dam and China Quake." The New York Times. Feb. 5, 2009.http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/world/asia/06quake.html?scp=1&sq=earthquake%20dam&st=cse