Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Have we reached peak oil?
- How Oil Drilling Works
- How Oil Refining Works
- How Offshore Drilling Works
- Why is offshore drilling so controversial?
- What's oil shale?
More Great Links
- "About Tar Sands." Oil Shale & Tar Sands Programmatic EIS Information Center. U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management. http://ostseis.anl.gov/guide/tarsands/index.cfm
- Clark, K.A. "Separation of Bitumen from Bituminous Sands." Nature. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v127/n3197/abs/127199a0.html
- Gillies, Rob. "Oil sands create environmental concerns." The Press-Enterprise. 2008. http://www.pe.com/business/local/stories/PE_Biz_S_canadaoil24.2d60439.html
- Goffman, Ethan. "Environmental Refugees: How Many, How Bad?" Discovery Guides. CSA. 2006. http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/refugee/review.php
- Herro, Alana. "Oil Sands: The Costs of Alberta's 'Black Gold'." Worldwatch Institute. 2006. http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4222
- Koerner, Brendan I. "The Trillion-Barrel Tar Pit." Wired. 2004. http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/oil.html
- Mullins, Justin. "Invention: Oil-sands digester." New Scientist. 2008. http://technology.newscientist.com/article/dn14750-invention-oilsands-digester.html
- Oil Sands Discovery Center. http://www.oilsandsdiscovery.com/
- "The Oil Sands of Alberta." 60 Minutes. CBS News. 2006. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/20/60minutes/main1225184.shtml
- Romm, Joseph. "'Time' for tar sands." Grist. 2008. http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/5/27/135238/695