Author's Note: 5 Innovative Social Devices
The world still waits for the game-changing device or killer app that fully integrates our entertainment consumption and social lives. Apple has come the closest. The iPhone completely revolutionized the smartphone sector — remember when Blackberry was the "hot" gadget — and iPad made the tech world believe in the incredible potential of the tablet. And let's not forget about iTunes, which rescued music, movie and TV content from the low-quality chaos of peer-to-peer file sharing and proved that reasonable people will pay 99 cents for a song. So why hasn't Apple TV achieved similar success? The service lets you share all of your digital content across every gadget in the house and streams high-def movies and TV from iTunes or Netflix, but it's lacking an intuitive and simple connection to our favorite social networks. The WiiU seems to be the closest thing to an all-in-one gaming, entertainment and social machine, but will it catch on? Until we get that killer app, the social media-addicted couch potato in all of us will soldier on.
- How Smartphones Work
- How Tablets Work
- 5 Technology Gadgets That Make Great Gifts
- 10 Great Gadget Gifts for Men
- Could someone stalk you using your own smartphone?
- 10 Futurist Predictions in the World of Technology
- 10 TV Technologies Making Movie Theaters Obsolete
- Are social networking sites addictive?
- Associated Press. "By the Numbers: Netflix subscribers." Oct. 23, 2012 (Jan. 1, 2013) http://finance.yahoo.com/news/numbers-netflix-subscribers-205626248--finance.html
- Cisco. "Cisco Videoscape: Reinventing the Video Experience." (Jan. 1, 2013) http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns1043/solution_overview_c22-696150_ns1106_Networking_Solution_Solution_Overview.html
- Dailey, John A. Game to Learn. "Social Media Presence: Xbox vs. PlayStation." December 2, 2012 (January 7, 2013) http://socialmedia.mis.temple.edu/mis3538jadailey/2012/12/02/social-media-presence-xbox-vs-playstation/
- Elgan, Mike. Computerworld. "The rise of the social picture gadget." September 8, 2012 (Dec. 31, 2012) http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9231041/Elgan_The_rise_of_the_social_picture_gadget?taxonomyId=236&pageNumber=2
- Elmer-Dewitt, Philip. Fortune. "Apple's 3 million iPad weekend: What the analysts are saying." November 5, 2012 (Dec. 31, 2012) http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/05/apples-3-million-ipad-weekend-what-the-analysts-are-saying/
- Hatfield, Damon. IGN. "Xbox Live Through the Years." Jan. 8, 2010 (Jan. 1, 2013) http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/01/09/xbox-live-through-the-years
- INQ. "INQ Cloud Touch" (Dec. 31, 2012) http://new.inqmobile.com/products/inq-cloud-touch#/overview
- Krawczyk, Jack. TechCrunch. "Your Mobile Phone is the Least Social Device You Own." July 8, 2012 (Dec. 31, 2012) http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/08/your-mobile-device-is-the-least-social-device-you-own/
- Murphy, David. PCMag.com. "Microsoft Kills Facebook and Twitter Apps on Xbox Live, Adds IE9." October 20, 2012 (Jan. 1, 2013) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411216,00.asp
- Nielsen. "State of the Media: The Social Media Report 2012." (Dec. 31, 2012) http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/reports-downloads/2012-Reports/The-Social-Media-Report-2012.pdf
- Nikon. "Coolpix S800c." (Dec. 31, 2012) http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26356/COOLPIX-S800c.html
- Nintendo. WiiU. "Miiverse." (Jan. 1, 2013) http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/#/miiverse
- Nintendo. WiiU. "Nintendo TVii." (Jan. 1, 2013) http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/#/tvii
- Reuters. "Apple to lose tablet market share to Android in 2012: IDC." Dec. 5, 2012 (Dec. 31, 2012) http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/05/us-tabletmarket-research-idc-idUSBRE8B40O920121205