Lots More InformationAuthor's Note: What technologies have made search and rescue easier?
I've never been lost in the wilderness, thank goodness. Or required rescue from a stranded boat. Or (more likely) tornado debris. But if I did, I think I'd be so grateful to see a rescue robot that I wouldn't even mind if it looked like a snake. Whatever the form, the ideas brewing among researchers and the rescue community seem to be good ones. After all, there has to be a more effective way to rescue people than flashlights and a hunch, right?Related Articles
- How do rescue teams search a flooded city?
- How Search and Rescue Works
- Who pays for search and rescue operations?
- How to Volunteer for Search and Rescue
- Boyle, Rebecca. "Rescuing Disaster Victims with Snake Robots Deployed by Dogs." Popular Science. Jan. 17, 2012. (Sept. 6, 2013) http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-01/video-dog-deployed-snakebots-are-future-disaster-rescue
- Fecht, Sarah. "Fire Ants Could Inspire the Next Rescue Robots." Popular Mechanics. May 21, 2013. (Sept. 6, 2013) http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/robots/fire-ants-could-inspire-the-next-rescue-robots-15498631
- Lewis, Tanya. "How Rescue Dogs Hunt for Tornado Survivors." Live Science. May 21, 2013. (Sept. 6, 2013) http://www.livescience.com/34552-rescue-dogs-hunt-for-tornado-survivors.html
- NASA. "Sailor Reflects on NASA Technology That Saved His Life." May 24, 2010. (Sept. 6, 2013) http://www.nasa.gov/topics/technology/features/search-rescue2010.html
- NASA. "Taking the 'Search' Out of Search and Rescue." Sept. 2, 2010. (Sept. 6, 2013) http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/features/2010/search-and-rescue.html
- NASAR. "Canine Fact Sheet." (Sept. 6, 2013) http://www.nasar.org/page/49/Canine-Fact-Sheet
- NOAA. "Welcome to SARSAT." (Sept. 6, 2013) http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/features/2010/search-and-rescue.html
- Sandoval, Greg. "Lessons Learned From Kim Tragedy." Dec. 6, 2007 (Sept. 12, 2013). CNEThttp://news.cnet.com/Lessons-learned-from-Kim-tragedy/2100-1028_3-6221778.html
- Stevens, Mark. "How Emerging Technology Can Assist Urban Search and Rescue." Emergency Management. Jan. 24, 2013. (Sept. 11, 2013) http://www.emergencymgmt.com/disaster/Emerging-Technology-Urban-Search-Rescue.html