Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- What is water boarding?
- How the Rules of War Work
- What are the five most prevalent forms of torture and why?
- Is there a torture manual?
- How the United Nations Works
More Great Links
- Centre for Victims of Torture
- UN Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights
- The Hague, Netherlands
- Applebaum, Anne. "So torture is legal?" The Washington Post. June 16, 2004. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44874-2004Jun15.html
- Bravin, Jess. "Pentagon report set framework for use of torture." Wall Street Journal. June 7, 2004. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0607-01.htm
- Holtzman, Elizabeth. "Bush seeks immunity for violating War Crimes Act." Chicago Sun-Times. September 23, 2006. http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0923-22.htm
- Minchin, Liz. "Make torture legal, say two academics." The Age. May 17, 2005. http://www.theage.com.au/news/War-on-Terror/Make-torture-legal-say-academics/2005/05/16/1116095906016.html#
- Stolberg, Sheryl Gay. "Experts say Bush's goal in terrorism bill is latitude for interrogators' methods." New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/19/washington/19interrogate.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
- Tepperman, Jonathan D. "After Abu Ghraib; An American in The Hague?" New York Times. June 10, 2004. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F07EFDA1730F933A25755C0A9629C8B63
- "CIA director says legality of waterboarding is in doubt under current law." Associated Press. February 8, 2008. http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/08/america/NA-GEN-US-Torture.php
- "Convention against torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment." United Nations. February 4, 1985. http://www.hrweb.org/legal/cat.html
- "Geneva Convention relative to the treatment of the prisoners of war." United Nations. August 12, 1949. http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/91.htm
- "The torture question: Frequently asked questions." PBS. October 18, 2005.http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/torture/etc/faqs.html
- "The Vice President appears on Meet the Press with Tim Russert." The White House. September 16, 2001. http://www.whitehouse.gov/vicepresident/news-speeches/speeches/vp20010916.html
- "U.S. Code collection; Title 18: Part 1: Chapter 113C - Torture." Cornell University Law School. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sup_01_18_10_I_20_113C.html