Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Why do small changes in the Earth's temperature have a big impact?
- How do you clean up an oil spill?
- Are my bath habits destroying marine ecology?
- Can we ever replace plastic?
- Could we clean up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
- Can we replant the planet's rainforests?
- If I plant trees in my yard, will it offset global warming?
- If the polar ice caps melted, how much would the oceans rise?
- Has the Earth reached its carrying capacity?
- Are we at the beginning of the end of Western civilization?
- What life forms on Earth are close to extinction?
- When will life on Earth end?
More Great Links
- "An epidemic of extinctions: Decimation of life on earth." The Independent. May 16, 2008. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/an-epidemic-of-extinctions-decimation-of-life-on-earth-829325.html
- "Are We Pushing Earth's Environmental Tipping Points?" Scientific American. March 19, 2010. http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=are-we-pushing-the-earths-environme-10-03-19
- "Ask the Experts: DeeAnn Reeder on bat research" Bucknell University. Feb. 4, 2010. http://www.bucknell.edu/x58280.xml
- Britt, Robert Roy. "Pleistocene Park Could Solve Mystery of Mammoth's Extinction." Live Science. May 6, 2005. (8/25/2010) http://www.livescience.com/animals/050506_mammoth_park.html
- Carey, Bjorn. "The Perils of Being Huge: Why Large Creatures Go Extinct." Live Science. July 18, 2006. (8/25/2010) http://www.livescience.com/animals/060718_big_animals.html
- "Earth In Midst Of Sixth Mass Extinction: 50% Of All Species Disappearing." Science Daily. Oct. 21, 2008. (8/25/2010) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081020171454.htm
- Franklin, Jonathan. "Frog, Lizard Extinctions Caused by Climate, Not Fungus, Study Suggests." National Geographic News. April 17, 2007. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/070417-frogs-lizards.html
- "Mini Frog, Among Smallest in the World Discovered." Live Science. August 25, 2010. (8/25/2010) http://www.livescience.com/animals/pea-sized-frog-discovered-100825.html
- Platt, John. "Epidemic kills 12,000 critically endangered antelopes." Scientific American. June 10, 2010. (8/25/2010) http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=epidemic-kills-12000-critically-end-2010-06-01
- Roach, John. "Mystery Undersea Extinction Cycle Discovered." National Geographic News. March 9, 2005. (8/25/2010) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/03/0309_050309_extinctions.html
- "Species disappearing at an alarming rate, report says." MSNBC. Nov. 17, 2004. (8/25/2010) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6502368/
- "The Great Dying." NASA. 2002. (8/25/2010) http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2002/28jan_extinction/
- The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. http://www.iucnredlist.org/
- The Story of Stuff Web site. (8/25/2010) http://www.storyofstuff.com/
- Wilson, Edward and Peter, Francis. "Biodiversity, Volume 1." National Academy of Sciences and the Smithsonian Institution. March 16, 1998. (8/25/2010) http://books.google.com/books?id=MkUrAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA21&ots=AyXtCAQcps&dq=what's%20worse%20loss%20of%20plant%20diversity%20or%20loss%20of%20animal%20diversity%3F&lr&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Zimmer, Carl. "Carriers of Extinction." Discover Magazine. July 1995. (8/25/2010) http://discovermagazine.com/1995/jul/carriersofextinc540/?searchterm=reasons%20for%20extinctions