Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Will we soon be extinct?
- How Dinosaurs Work
- How Fossils Work
- How Asteroids Work
- How the Earth Works
- How Evolution Works
More Great Links
- NOVA: Mass Extinction
- Canadian Museum of Nature: Endangered/Extinct
- Biodiversity and Conservation
- IUCN Red List
- Ecological Society of America
- Brashares, Justin S. "Ecological, Behavioral and Life-history Correlates of Mammal Extinctions in West Africa." Conservation Biology. Vol. 17, no. 3, June 2003.
- Bryant, Peter J. "Biodiversity and Conservation." University of California, Irvine. (2/27/2007) http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~sustain/bio65/Titlpage.htm#Table%20of%20contents
- Dunn, Robert R. "Modern Insect Extinctions, the Neglected Majority." Conservation Biology. Vol. 19, no. 4. August 2005.
- Eklof, Anna and Bo Ebenman. "Species Loss and Secondary Extinctions in Simple and Complex Model Communities." Journal of Animal Ecology. Vol. 75. 2006.
- Holloway, Marguerite. "When Extinct Isn't." Scientific American. 8/8/2005. (2/27/2007) http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=when-extinct-isnt
- Holsinger, Kent. "Patterns of Biological Extinction." University of Connecticut. 9/4/2007. (2/27/2007) http://darwin.eeb.uconn.edu/eeb310/lecture-notes/extinctions/extinctions.html
- Kery, Marc. "Extinction Rate Estimates for Plant Populations in Revisitation Studies: Importance of Detectability." Conservation Biology. Vol. 18, no. 2. April 2004.
- Newman, M.E.J. and R.G. Palmer. "Models of Extinction: A Review." Santa Fe Institute. http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/newmme/science/ModelsOfExtinction.pdf (2/27/2007)
- NOVA. "Mass Extinction." 11/2006 (2/27/2007) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3318/01.html
- Regan, Helen M. et al. "The Currency and Tempo of Extinction." The American Naturalist. Vol. 157, no. 1. January 2001.
- Siegel, Lee. "The Fives Worst Extinctions in Earth's History." Space.com. 9/7/2000 (2/27/2007) http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/extinction_sidebar_000907.html
- State Museum of Illinois. "Late Pleistocene Extinctions." (2/27/2007) http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/larson/lp_extinction.html
- UCMP Berkley. "The Ordovician." (2/27/2007) http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/ordovician/ordovician.html
- Ward, Peter Douglas. "The Call of Distant Mammoths." Springer. 10/9/1998. (2/27/2007)
- Wolf, Diana E. et al. "Predicting the Risk of Extinction through Hybridization." Conservation Biology. Vol. 15, no. 4. August 2001.