Gender Reassignment: Cheat Sheet
Stuff You Need to Know:
- Transgender people are people who feel dissatisfied with their sexual identity, body characteristics and/or gender role. Transgender people who wish to live as the opposite gender may transform their bodies through gender reassignment surgery, commonly known as a sex change, although not every transgender person undergoes surgery.
- Let's review a few definitions. Transwoman: A biologically born man who identifies as a woman. Transman: A biologically born woman who identifies as a man. Transgender: A general term used to describe a person with a gender identity disorder.
- The journey of undergoing gender reassignment begins with the patient receiving a Gender Identity Disorder (GID) diagnosis. There are five types of GIDs: transsexualism, dual-role transvestism, gender identity disorder of childhood, other gender identity disorders and unspecified gender identity disorder. Once diagnosed, the patient will undergo diagnostic assessment, psychotherapy, real-life experience, hormone therapy and surgery to augment genitalia and other sex characteristics.
Now, test your knowledge with these quizzes!
- Group X or Group Sex: What defines asexuality?
- How much do you know about vaginas?
- Quiz: What goes on in your brain when you're attracted to someone?