We love stories of twins who can sense each other's pain or know what the other is thinking. But can twins really sense each other? Find out.
Author's Note: How Gene Therapy Works
It's hard not to be impressed by the mechanics of gene therapy -- the snipping, splicing and swapping of DNA. But separating the "Can you?" from the "Should you?" seems a much more daunting task. I suspect that addressing the ethics of gene therapy depends a great deal on whether you or a family member suffers from a rare genetic disorder.
- Clancy, Suzanne. "Translation: DNA to mRNA to Protein." Scitable. 2008. http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/translation-dna-to-mrna-to-protein-393
- Clark, Janet. "Ethical Issues in Flowers for Algernon." CliffsNotes. http://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/f/flowers-for-algernon/critical-essays/ethical-issues-in-flowers-for-algernon
- Cossins, Dan. "Gene Therapy Coming of Age?" The New Scientist. July 11, 2013. http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/36481/title/Gene-Therapy-Coming-of-Age-/
- Greenwood, Veronique. "How Your Tax Dollars Save Lives: Gene Therapy." Discover Magazine. Oct. 24, 2011. http://discovermagazine.com/2011/oct/24-how-your-tax-dollars-save-lives-gene-therapy#.UfchiGRAR38
- Hunt, Sonia Y. "Controversies in Treatment Approaches: Gene Therapy, IVF, Stem Cells, and Pharmacogenomics." Nature Education. 2008. http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/controversies-in-treatment-approaches-gene-therapy-ivf-792
- Kaiser, Jocelyn. "Gene Therapy in a New Light." Smithsonian Magazine. January 2009. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Gene-Therapy-in-a-New-Light.html?onsite_source=relatedarticles&onsite_medium=internallink&onsite_campaign=SmithMag&onsite_content=Gene%20Therapy%20in%20a%20New%20Light
- Mayo Clinic staff. "Gene therapy." Mayo Clinic Tests and Procedures. Jan. 5, 2013. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gene-therapy/MY00105
- Morrow, Matthew P. and David B. Weiner. "DNA Drugs Come of Age." Scientific American. July 2010.
- Neimark, Jill. "The Second Coming of Gene Therapy." Discover Magazine. Sept. 2, 2009. http://discovermagazine.com/2009/sep/02-second-coming-of-gene-therapy#.UfciAWRAR38
- Nienhuis, Arthur. "What is gene therapy?" Scientific American. August 2008.
- Philipkoski, Kristen. "Another Chance For Gene Therapy?" Wired Magazine. Oct. 1, 1999. http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/1999/10/31613
- Ravenscroft, Tim. "TechUpdate: Are Lentiviral Vectors on Cusp of Breakout?" Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. June 15, 2008. http://www.genengnews.com/gen-articles/techupdate-are-lentiviral-vectors-on-cusp-of-breakout/2517/
- Stolberg, Sheryl Gay. "The Biotech Death of Jesse Gelsinger." The New York Times. Nov. 28, 1999. http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/28/magazine/the-biotech-death-of-jesse-gelsinger.html
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. "What is gene therapy?." Genetics Home Reference. July 22, 2013. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/therapy/genetherapy
- Wenner, Melinda. "Regaining Lost Luster." Scientific American. January 2008.