Lots More Information
Author's Note: Why are breasts different sizes?
In today's media-saturated world, men and women alike are inundated with idealized body images. For the fellas, the unrealistic expectation centers on a smooth, possibly hairless sculpted chest, rippling muscles and a taut triangular back. For women, well, the attention rarely strays below the belly button. Breast implants are the most popular cosmetic surgery in the United States, and for female patients under 18 who aren't legally allowed to elect for a larger cup size, one of the most common corrective procedures addresses another area of bust line insecurity: evening out an asymmetrical set. What many girls and women might not realize, however, is that having breasts of slightly different sizes is perfectly normal and just another example of how abnormal our concepts of bodily perfection really are.
- How Female Puberty Works
- How Breast Implants Work
- How Breast Pumps Work
- Why do men have nipples?
- How Vaginas Work
- Adams, Cecil. "Am I imagining or are women's breasts getting bigger?" The Straight Dope. Sept. 23, 1983. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/77/am-i-imagining-or-are-womens-breasts-getting-bigger
- Adams, Rebecca. "Bra Sizes Up Three Sizes in Just Two Years, According to Study." Huffington Post. Oct. 09, 2012. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/average-bra-size-study-debenhams-bust_n_1951690.html#slide=1202103
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. "Teens and Plastic Surgery." (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.surgery.org/media/news-releases/teens-and-plastic-surgery
- BioMed Central. "Breast Asymmetry Predicts Breast Cancer." ScienceDaily. March 20, 2006. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/03/060320094116.htm
- Boyles, Salynn. "Breast Asymmetry Points to Cancer Risk." WebMD. March 20, 2006. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20060320/breast-asymmetry-points-to-cancer-risk
- Eriksson, Nicholas et al. "Genetic variants associated with breast size also influence breast cancer risk." BMC Medical Genetics. June 30, 2012. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2350/13/53/abstract
- Go Ask Alice! "Mismatched breasts." Columbia Health. Sept. 22, 2000. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/mismatched-breasts
- Hirsch, Larissa. "Why Are My Breasts Different Sizes?" Nemours Foundation. June 2010. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/girls/breast_size.html
- Holson, Laura M. "Your Bra Size: The Truth May (Pleasantly) Surprise You." The New York Times. April 08, 2009. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/fashion/09bra.html?_r=0
- National Health Services. "Bigger bra size 'linked with breast cancer'." July 05, 2012. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/07July/Pages/bust-size-and-breast-cancer-risk.aspx
- Peterson, Keri. "Why Are Breasts Different Sizes?" Women's Health. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.womenshealthmag.com/video/why-are-breasts-different-sizes#/video/all
- Redbook. "Victoria's Secret: 6 Surprising Bra Stats." (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.redbookmag.com/beauty-fashion/tips-advice/fun-bra-facts#slide-1
- Scutt, Diane; Lancaster, Gillian A.; and Manning, John T. "Breast asymmetry and predisposition to breast cancer." Breast Cancer Research. 2006. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://breast-cancer-research.com/content/8/2/R14
- Sigurdson, L. et al. "Symptoms and related severity experienced by women with breast hypertrophy." Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. Vol. 119. No. 02. February 2007. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17230079
- Telegraph Reporters. "Breast cancer 'linker to bra size'." Telegraph. July 05, 2012. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9377624/Breast-cancer-linked-to-bra-size.html
- UPI. "Survey: Push-up bra is fashion's best." March 21, 2008. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/03/21/Survey-Push-up-bra-is-fashions-best/UPI-83181206142837/