I'm torn on the subject of artificial intelligence. On the one hand, we live in an age of technological innovation and we're seeing enormous leaps in computational ability every year. On the other, thinking is hard. I suspect we'll have the hardware capable of supporting thought before we crack the software side of the problem. It's probably only a matter of time before machines are actually thinking in a way that's analogous to our own processes. But it's still hard for me to imagine.
- How the Semantic Web Works
- What's the technological singularity?
- How Chess Computers Work
- How Brain-computer Interfaces Work
- Are we 10 years way from artificial life?
- Will artificial intelligence invade Second Life?
More Great Links
- Botezatu, Bogdan. "Computer Intelligence Will Outpace the Human Brain By 2030." Softpedia. Feb. 16, 2008. (March 11, 2010) http://news.softpedia.com/news/Computer-Intelligence-Will-Outpace-the-Human-Brain-By-2030-78868.shtml
- Deedrick, Tami. "It's Technical, Dear Watson." IBM Systems Magazine. February 2011. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/trends/whatsnew/It%E2%80%99s-Technical,-Dear-Watson/
- Feldman, Susan. "IBM's Watson: From Winning Games to Saving Lives." IDC Link. March 26, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www-03.ibm.com/innovation/us/watson/pdf/lcUS23400812.pdf
- Gaudin, Sharon. "Intel: Human and computer intelligence will merge in 40 years." Computer World. July 23, 2008. (March 11, 2010) http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9110578/Intel_Human_and_computer_intelligence_will_merge_in_40_years
- IBM. "Deep Blue." (March 12, 2010) http://www.research.ibm.com/deepblue/
- Keim, Brandon. "Computer Program Self-Discovers Laws of Physics." Wired. April 2, 2009. (March 11, 2010) http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/newtonai/
- Lovgren, Stefan. "Supercomputing Project Aims to Simulate Human Brain." July 20, 2005. (March 11, 2010) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0720_050720_bluebrain.html
- Moravec, Hans. "Robots, Re-Evolving Mind." Carnegie Mellon University Robotics Institute. December 2000. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~hpm/project.archive/robot.papers/2000/Cerebrum.html
- Moravec, Hans. "When will computer hardware match the human brain?" Carnegie Mellon University Robotics Institute. Dec 1997 (Aug 8, 2012) http://www.transhumanist.com/volume1/moravec.htm
- Mowbray. Don. "Computer Intelligence Will Surpass Human Intelligence This Year." BBSpot. Aug. 12. 2004. (March 11, 2010)http://www.bbspot.com/News/2004/08/computer_intelligence.html
- Steele, Bill. "Move over, Newton: Scientifically ignorant computer derives natural laws from raw data." Chronicle Online. Cornell University. April 2, 2009. (March 15, 2010) http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/April09/NaturalLaws.ws.html
- ThinkQuest. "The Superior Intelligence." (March 11, 2010) http://library.thinkquest.org/C001501/the_saga/ai.htm
- World Chess Championship Index. "Kasparov vs. IBM's Deep Blue." (March 12, 2010) http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/9697imix.htm