Author's Note: Is there a psychological reason for people being mean on the Internet?
Not that I want to tempt fate, but I've witnessed only a few Internet flame-ups -- and they've all been from a comfortable distance. Well, comfortable may be an overstatement, since I tend to back away from discord among friends and colleagues rather than jump into the fray. Still, I doubt whether the assertions we make online would be as vehement if we were discussing the matter face-to-face at a cocktail party or post-meeting mingle. I love the convenience and speed of online communication, but there's something to be said for remembering manners, even when the topic is a difficult one.
- Bernstein, Elizabeth. "Why We Are So Rude Online." Oct. 1, 2012. (Jan. 13, 2013) The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444592404578030351784405148.htm
- Chopra, Mallika. "Does Being Happy Make You Healthy?" Feb. 2, 2010. (Jan. 13, 2013) Good. http://www.good.is/posts/does-being-happy-make-you-healthy/
- Chosun Libo. "Real Name Online Registration to be Scrapped." Dec. 30, 2011. (Jan. 13, 2013). http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/12/30/2011123001526.html
- Dallas, Mary Elizabeth. "Humans Might Be Hard-Wired to 'Love Thy Neighbor.'" July 30, 2012. (Jan. 13, 2013) Health. http://news.health.com/2012/07/30/humans-might-be-hard-wired-to-love-thy-neighbor/
- Ferenstein, Gregory. "Surprisingly Good Evidence That Real Name Policies Fail To Improve Comments." TechCrunch. July 29, 2012. (Jan. 13, 2013). http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/29/surprisingly-good-evidence-that-real-name-policies-fail-to-improve-comments/
- Gardner, Amanda. "Troll Psychology: Why People Are So Mean on the Internet." Aug. 2, 2012. (Jan. 13, 2013) Health. http://news.health.com/2012/08/02/troll-psychology-mean-internet/
- Hinduja, Sameer. "State Cyberbullying Laws." (Jan. 13, 2013) Cyberbullying Research Center. http://www.cyberbullying.us/Bullying_and_Cyberbullying_Laws.pdf
- Kornblum, Janet. "Rudeness, Threats Make the Web a Cruel World." July 30, 2007. (Jan. 13, 2013) USA Today. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/internetlife/2007-07-30-cruel-web_N.htm
- Rawstorne, Tom. "Inside the Twisted World of Tom Daley's Twitter Troll." Daily Mail. Aug. 3, 2012. (Jan. 13, 2013). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183494/Tom-Daleys-Twitter-troll-Reece-Messer-lives-benefits-bedsit-father-11-children.html
- Robertson, Elizalde. "How to Deal with Mean Comments Online." Oct. 12, 2010. (Jan. 13, 2013) Yahoo. http://voices.yahoo.com/how-deal-mean-comments-online-6911428.html?cat=72
- Rope, Kate. "Why is There So Much Negativity on the Internet?" (Jan. 13, 2013) http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/technology/communication-etiquette/negativity-00100000073022/