Frogs! Fish! Birds! They've all been said to appear from clouds. Learn about 10 times the sky rained something other than water at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: What's a nor'easter?
The accounts of the Great Blizzard of 1888 astound me. Pedestrians in downtown New York City buried in drifts. Commuters who never made it home. Others who walked across the East River, which had frozen solid. This legendary nor'easter was also one of the first captured in photographs. Black-and-white snapshots documented the storms' aftermath and offer a modern-day illustration of the disastrous storm that left more than 400 dead. While I don't wish for a storm of that magnitude (50 inches of snow!) to silence any part of the world, I don't mind witnessing a few snowy drifts now and again.
- Burt, Christopher. "The Great Blizzard of 1888: America's Greatest Snow Disaster." March 15, 2012. (Dec. 7, 2012) Wunderground. http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/comment.html?entrynum=65
- Edwards, Brian. "Nor'easter: Flooding, Damage, Power Outages, Delays." Nov. 7, 2012. (Dec. 7, 2012) AccuWeather. http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/noreaster-to-cause-flooding-da/1138252
- McGrath, Ben. "Nor'easter." Sept. 5, 2005. (Dec. 6, 2012) The New Yorker. http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/09/05/050905ta_talk_mcgrath
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. "Dangers of Nor'easters." (Dec. 6, 2012) http://www.noaa.gov/features/03_protecting/noreasters.html
- Schaefer, Steve. "Stock Market to Reopen Wednesday After Hurricane Sandy Hammers New York." Oct. 30, 2012. (Dec. 6, 2012) Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaefer/2012/10/30/all-quiet-on-wall-street-in-sandys-wake-exchanges-work-to-restart-trading/
- Sistek, Scott. "Naming Nor'easter 'Athena' Creates Controversy in Weather Community." Nov. 7, 2012. (Dec. 6, 2012) http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/Naming-NorEaster-Athena-creates-controversy-in-weather-community-177753001.html
- The Weather Channel. "Nor'Easters." (Dec. 6, 2012) http://www.weather.com/encyclopedia/winter/noreast.html
- The Weather Channel Kids. "Types of Winter Storms." (Dec. 6, 2012) http://www.theweatherchannelkids.com/weather-ed/weather-encyclopedia/winter-storms/types-of-winter-storms/
- World Meteorological Organization. "Tropical Cyclone Naming." (Dec. 7, 2012) http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/tcp/Storm-naming.html