Author's Note: 10 Completely False ‘Facts’ Everyone Knows
This article was pretty cool to research and write. I came away with a sense (Ha! Did you see what I did there?!) that many of these "facts" are just things we take for granted without giving them much thought. But that if we did give them more thought, we could probably reach most of these conclusions on our own. However, thanks to me, you have now given them more thought but without having to bother with coming to the correct conclusions all by yourself. You're welcome.
- Are there dead bodies on Mount Everest?
- 10 Landmarks You'd Better Be in Shape to Visit
- How Glassblowing Works
- How Molecular Gastronomy Works
- Did the Chinese beat Columbus to America?
- Could blood be used to power batteries?
- How Animal Camouflage Works
- How do sharks see, smell and hear?
- "Chameleon." Animal Planet. http://animals.howstuffworks.com/reptiles/chameleon-info.htm
- "China's Wall Less Great in View from Space." NASA. May, 9, 2005. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/workinginspace/great_wall.html
- Clark, Josh. "Why does orange juice taste bad after you brush teeth." HowStuffWorks.com. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/orange-juice-toothpaste.htm
- Devitt, Terry. "Galactic survey reveals a new look for the Milky Way." University of Wisconsin-Madison. Aug. 16, 2005.(Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.news.wisc.edu/11405
- Gould, Steven Jay. "The Late Birth of a Flat Earth." (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/lehre/SS05/efs/materials/FlatEarth.pdf
- Hawk. "If blood is red why do your veins look blue?" The Straight Dope. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1419/if-blood-is-red-why-do-your-veins-look-blue
- Hiskey, Daven. "10 Common Misconceptions Dispelled." Today I Found Out. April 22, 2012. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/04/10-common-misconceptions-dispelled/
- Hiskey, Dave. "Humans Have a Lot More Than Five Senses." Today I Found Out. July 16, 2010. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/07/humans-have-a-lot-more-than-five-senses/
- Katz Cooper, Sharon. "Chameleons." National Geographic. October 2002. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngexplorer/0210/articles/mainarticle.html
- Krulwich, Robert. "Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter... and Umami." NPR. Nov. 5, 2007. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15819485
- Mikkelson, Barbara. "A Bird in the Hand." Sept. 27, 2004. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/babybird.asp
- Mitchinson, John. "The Book of General Ignorance." Random House Digital. Aug. 7, 2007.(Sept. 9, 2012.) http://books.google.com/books?id=1Mjd2GCRPmAC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Plait, Phil. "Ten things you don't know about the Milky Way." Discover. March 12, 2008. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/03/12/ten-things-you-dont-know-about-the-milky-way-galaxy/
- Roy Britt, Robert. "Milky Way's Central Structure Seen with Fresh Clarity." Aug. 26, 2005. Space. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.space.com/1442-milky-ways-central-structure-fresh-clarity.html
- Sample, Ian. "Scientists debunk the myth that you lose most heat through your head." The Guardian. Dec. 17, 2008. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour
- Strauss, Valerie. "Busting a myth about Columbus and a flat Earth." Washington Post. Oct. 10, 2011. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/busting-a-myth-about-columbus-and-a-flat-earth/2011/10/10/gIQAXszQaL_blog.html
- Stuart-Fox, Devi and Moussalli, Adnan. "Selection for Social Signalling Drives the Evolution of Chameleon Colour Change." PLOS Biology. 2008. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pbio.0060025
- "The Great Wall of China is the only man-made object visible from the moon." Snopes. Sept. 6, 2010.(Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.snopes.com/science/greatwall.asp
- Truchon, Mike. "If You Touch a Baby Bird, Will Its Mother Really Abandon It?" Mental Floss. Oct. 22, 2011. (Sept. 9, 2012.) http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/104008