Author's Note: What's the difference between a semi-automatic weapon and a machine gun?
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli," mob strong man Peter Clemenza tells an associate after shooting a traitorous ex-employee in "The Godfather." When it comes to Americans' health and safety, however, it's debatable whether firearms or pastries are doing the most damage. Gorging ourselves at the buffet of excess, our guts are swelling, arteries are clogging and muscles are atrophying, one jelly donut at a time. Meanwhile, the costs associated with obesity-related heart disease, diabetes and cancer continue to balloon. The American Public Health Association projects that "left unchecked, obesity will add nearly $344 billion to the nation's annual health care costs by 2018 and account for more than 21 percent of health care spending." Smart, reasonable gun control is an admirable cause. So is carb control.
- Browning. "What is the historical timeline for Browning?" (Jan. 21, 2013) http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=202
- Duffy, Michael. "Weapons of War - Machine Guns." Firstworldwar.com. Aug. 22, 2009. (Jan. 21, 2013) http://firstworldwar.com/weaponry/machineguns.htm
- Higginbothom, David. "Gun Law 101: National Firearms Act of 1934." Guns.com. Jan. 3, 2013. (Jan. 21, 2013) http://www.guns.com/2013/01/03/gun-law-101-national-firearms-act-of-1934/
- Johnston, John. "Semi-automatic pistol has quite a history." Lampass Dispatch Record. June 7, 2008 (Jan. 24, 2013) http://www.lampasasdispatchrecord.com/news/2008-06-27/Sports/Semi-automatic_pistol_has_quite_a_history.html
- LSU Civil War Center. "The Gatling Gun." April 6, 2005. (Jan. 21, 2013) http://www.civilwarhome.com/gatlinggun.htm
- National Institute of Justice. "Firearm Examiner Training." (Jan. 24, 2013) http://www.nij.gov/training/firearms-training/module03/fir_m03_t05_06_e.htm
- NRA. "NRA Response to President Obama's Gun Control Proposals." Jan. 16, 2013. (Jan. 21, 2013) http://home.nra.org/#
- Plumer, Brad. "Everything you need to know about the assault weapons ban, in one post." The Washington Post. Dec. 17, 2012. (Jan. 21, 2013) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-banning-assault-weapons-in-one-post/
- Smithsonian National Museum of American History. "Browning Automatic Rifle." (Jan. 21, 2013) http://amhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/collection/object.asp?ID=652
- Spartacus Educational. "Hiram Maxim." (Jan. 21, 2013) http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWmaxim.htm
- Violence Policy Center. "Bullet Hoses." (Jan. 21, 2013) http://www.vpc.org/studies/hoseone.htm