Lots More InformationAuthor's Note: Should black box data be stored in the cloud?
Cost is not the only factor barring the streaming of flight data -- or, at least, cockpit voice recorder data. Pilot unions have long balked at the idea of making their voice recordings (or proposed video recordings) available to anyone beyond accident investigators, and even they tend only to read the transcripts.
Here's a fun fact you might not know: CVRs equip an erase button, which pilots press after completing a safe landing (they don't work during takeoff or flight). True, encrypted streaming could preserve the same privacy and then allow for deletion after landing, but would pilots see it that way?
Potentially, new regulations -- perhaps spurred by public outrage over some fresh disaster -- could drive some sort of FAA mandate. But unless forced, it seems far less likely that black boxes will stream to the cloud, and more likely that outside technologies will join them in an augmenting or assisting role.Related Articles
- 10 Aviation Innovations We'd Be Stuck on the Ground Without
- How Black Boxes Work
- How can a plane land at the wrong airport?
- How Cloud Storage Works
- How Remote File Access Works
- How Search and Rescue Works
- Adler, Jerry. "Banish the Black Box: There's a Better Way to Capture Plane Crash Data." Wired. June 28, 2011. (April 9, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2011/06/ff_blackboxes/
- Bachman, Justin. "Why Do Airlines Keep 'Black Box' Flight Data Trapped on Planes?" Bloomberg Businessweek. March 10, 2014. (April 11, 2014) http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-10/malaysia-air-crash-why-do-airlines-keep-black-box-flight-data-trapped-on-planes
- Demerjian, Dave. "Inside Aircraft Black Box Recorders." Wired. March 6, 2009. (April 7, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2009/03/cockpit-voice-r/
- Engber, Daniel. "Who Made That Black Box?" The New York Times Magazine. April 4, 2014. (April 7, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/magazine/who-made-that-black-box.html
- Kavi, Krishna. "Beyond the Black Box." IEEE Spectrum. July 30, 2010. (April 11, 2014) http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/aviation/beyond-the-black-box/0
- Millward, David. "Calls for Aircraft Black Box Data to be Stored in the Cloud." The Telegraph (UK). March 27, 2014. (April 8, 2014) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10728025/Calls-for-aircraft-black-box-data-to-be-stored-in-the-cloud.html
- National Geographic Channel. "What is a Black Box?" (April 7, 2014) http://natgeotv.com/uk/air-crash-investigation/black-box
- Paur, Jason. "March 17, 1953: The Black Box is Born." Wired. March 17, 2010. (April 7, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2010/03/0317warren-invents-airplane-black-box/
- Wald, Matthew. "Q. and A. on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370." New York Times. March 11, 2014. (April 8, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/world/asia/q-and-a-on-the-disappearance-of-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370.html?_r=1
- The Washington Post. "The Depth of the Problem." http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/world/the-depth-of-the-problem/931/