Whenever I walk into a museum filled with flying machines, it's hard not to be overwhelmed by the enormity of such craft. And to think that some of them actually careered around the Earth at thousands of miles per hour -- well, there's no wrapping my head around that. So to finally see these ships up close and in person in a tangible way helps connect me to the reality of spaceflight. For people like me, who can hardly imagine what it would be like to fly through space, museums are the one way we can really get a feeling -- no matter how fleeting -- of what it would be like to zip around in orbit.
- Associated Press. "NASA's Retired Space Shuttle Endeavour Departs Monday for Los Angeles Science Museum." The Washington Post. Sept. 13, 2012. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/nasas-retired-space-shuttle-endeavour-headed-westward-departs-monday-for-los-angeles-museum/2012/09/13/27ff9934-fdd4-11e1-98c6-ec0a0a93f8eb_story.html
- Boyle, Alan. "Shuttle Discovery Rolls Into Place of Honor at Smithsonian." MSNBC. April 19, 2012. (Sep. 21, 2012) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47098570/ns/technology_and_science-space/t/shuttle-discovery-rolls-place-honor-smithsonian/#.UFnJFY1lRjc
- California Science Center. "California Science Center Announces Details for Mission 26: The Big Endeavour." (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/GenInfo/MediaRoom/PressReleases/Endeavour/docs/Endeavour-Announcement-news-release-Latest.pdf
- France 24. "Iconic NASA Shuttle Discovery Makes Final Flight to Museum." April 17, 2012. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.france24.com/en/20120417-iconic-nasa-shuttle-discovery-final-flight-museum-washington-space-usa
- Greendfieldboyce, Nell. "Ready for Retirement, Shuttles Get a Deep Clean." NPR. July 19, 2011. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.npr.org/2011/07/19/138489879/ready-for-retirement-shuttles-get-a-deep-clean
- Harwood, William. "Shuttle Discovery, Bound for Museum Duty, Makes Final Flight." CNET. April 17, 2012. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57415203-76/shuttle-discovery-bound-for-museum-duty-makes-final-flight/
- Jaggard, Victoria. "Space Shuttle Discovery Arrives to Take 'Place of Honor.'" National Geographic. April 17, 2012. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/04/120417-space-shuttle-discovery-arrives-nasa-smithsonian-flyby-science/
- Lovett, Ian. "Endeavour's Last Journey, Through Contentious Space." The New York Times. Sept. 19, 2012. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/us/endeavours-last-journey-through-contentious-space.html
- Pearlman, Robert Z. "Space Shuttles' Future Homes: Fla. Calif., D.C. and N.Y." MSNBC. April 12, 2012. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42555086/ns/technology_and_science-space/t/space-shuttles-future-homes-fla-calif-dc-ny/#.UG3rI67CLkA
- San Francisco Chronicle. "Museum in Ohio Prepares for Space Shuttle Trainer."Aug. 18, 2012. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Museum-in-Ohio-prepares-for-space-shuttle-trainer-3797951.php
- Strauss, Mark. "A Preview of Discovery's Arrival to the Smithsonian." Smithsonian Magazine. February 2012. (Sept. 21, 2012) http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/A-Preview-of-Discoverys-Arrival-to-the-Smithsonian.html
- York, Brian. Curator at Strategic Air & Space Museum. Personal Interview. Sep. 19, 2012.