Lots More Information
Ghost guns are guns assembled by the purchaser from parts, including unfinished frames or receivers. This makes the guns untraceable and lets buyers skip background checks.
Author's Note: 10 Hallmarks of Assault Weapons – and What They Do
When you read blow-by-blow summaries of the shootings at schools -- Columbine High School and Sandy Hook Elementary School -- it's easy to feel outrage and horror. But when writing this article, I also tried to think of people in my family who own guns -- my brother-in-law, who uses his handguns for target shooting and in competitions, and my nephew, an avid hunter who feeds his family with game he hunts legally. They are both responsible adults and responsible gun owners. It's this tension that makes gun control such a thorny issue.
- Apuzzo, Matt and Pat Eaton-Robb. "Adam Lanza, Newtown Gunman, Had Hundreds of Rounds of Ammunition." Huffington Post. Dec. 16, 2012. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/adam-lanza-newtown-gunman-rounds-of-ammuniiton_n_2313017.html
- "Assault Weapons Ban of 2013." Senator Dianne Feinstein Site. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons-ban-summary
- Barrett, Paul M. "Glock: America's Gun." BusinessWeek. Jan. 13, 2011. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_04/b4212052185280.htm#p1
- Chivers, C.J. "The Gun." Simon & Schuster Paperbacks. 2010.
- Diaz, Tom. "Semiautomatic Assault Weapons: What Are They? What's So Bad About Them?" Violence Policy Center. May 2003. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.vpc.org/studies/hosecont.htm
- Dougherty, Martin J. "Small Arms from the Civil War to the Present Day." Fall River Press. 2005.
- Goode, Erica. "Even Defining Assault Rifles Is Complicated." The New York Times. Jan. 16, 2013. (Jan. 31, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/us/even-defining-assault-weapons-is-complicated.html?_r=0
- Harrison, Laird. "4 Myths About Assault Weapons." KQED. Dec. 20, 2012. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2012/12/20/four-myths-about-assault-weapons/
- Hartmann, Margaret. "What Makes a Gun an Assault Weapon?" New York Magazine. Jan. 30, 2013. (Jan. 31, 2013) http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/01/what-makes-a-gun-an-assault-weapon.html
- Hoffman, Lisa. "Semiautomatic weapons used in Aurora, Tucson, Virginia Tech, Newtown Connecticut shootings." KJRH News. Dec. 14, 2012. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/semiautomatic-weapons-used-in-aurora-tucson-virginia-tech-newtown-connecticut-shootings
- Kozak, Brad. "Choosing a Handgun, Part VI: Stopping Power." The Truth about Guns. March 12, 2010. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/03/brad-kozak/choosing-a-handgun-part-vi-stopping-power/
- Krouse, William J. "Gun Control Legislation." Congressional Research Service. Nov. 14, 2012. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL32842.pdf
- Lallanilla, Mark. "What Is an Assault Weapon?" LiveScience. Jan. 17, 2013. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.livescience.com/26352-definition-assault-weapon.html
- Palmer, Brian. "How Many Times Can You Shoot a Handgun in Seven Minutes?" Slate. Nov. 9, 2009. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2009/11/how_many_times_can_you_shoot_a_handgun_in_seven_minutes.html
- Peters, Justin. "This Simple, Legal Add-On Lets an AR-15 Rifle Fire 900 Rounds Per Minute." Slate. Jan. 7, 2013. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/01/07/slide_fire_this_simple_legal_add_on_lets_an_ar_15_fire_900_rounds_per_minute.html
- Plumer, Brad. "Everything you need to know about the assault weapons ban, in one post." The Washington Post. Dec. 17, 2012. (Jan. 30, 2013) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-banning-assault-weapons-in-one-post/
- Regan, Paul, ed. "Weapons: A Visual History of Arms and Armor." DK Publishing. 2010.
- Vance, Lt. J. Paul. "State Police Identify Weapons Used in Sandy Hook Investigation." State of Connecticut, Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection. Jan. 23, 2013. (Jan. 18, 2013) http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284
- Wallace-Wells, Benjamin. "Adam Lanza's Arsenal." New York Magazine. Feb. 3, 2013. (Feb. 5, 2013) http://nymag.com/news/features/gun-control-newtown-2013-2/index2.html