Fountain Place Plot
In 2009, Hosam Smadi, a 19-year-old man from Jordan on an expired student visa began posting on a Web site known for its radical Islamic leanings. Smadi lived in Texas at the time and, according to FBI reports, seemed determined to act out his violent plans.
Soon, he was at the center of a 10-month FBI sting -- one that eventually supplied Smadi with a fake bomb made to his exact specifications. Smadi then drove an SUV carrying the bomb into a parking garage under a 60-story Dallas skyscraper known as Fountain Place. When he got inside an undercover agent's car and attempted to set off the bomb by dialing a cell phone number, Smadi was arrested.
In 2010, Smadi pled guilty to attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. He was sentenced to 24 years in prison in a courtroom just a few blocks from the building he'd once threatened to blow up [sources: FBI, Trahan].
Author's Note: 10 Terrorist Plots That Failed
In light of 9/11, the April 2013 Boston Marathon bombing and a spate of other threats, terrorist acts certainly feel like a growing reality. What I was surprised to discover while researching this article, though, is a history of terrorism spanning centuries and ethnic groups. Terrorism is nothing new. In 19th-century Russia, for example, terrorist sought to overthrow the ruling regime by killing Czar Alexander the Second -- after half-a-dozen failed attempts. In fact, the word "terrorism" was first used in 18th-century France to describe a government that used terror to rule its citizens. Although the modern definition of "terrorism" has flipped (it's more likely to mean acts of aggression used to undermine a government), it's no less a threat than it ever was.
- Al-Haj, Ahmed. "Fahd al-Quso Dead: Airstrike Kills Senior Al-Qaida Leader In Yemen." May 6, 2012. (May 10, 2013). http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/06/fahd-al-quso-dead-airstrike-al-qaeda-yemen_n_1491261.html
- Associated Press. "Times Square Bomber Sentenced to Life in Prison." Fox News. Oct. 5, 2010. (May 10, 2013) http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/05/times-square-bomber-faces-sentencing-nyc/
- Avlon, John. "Forty-Five Foiled Terror Plots Since 9/11." The Daily Beast. Sept. 8, 2011. (May 8, 2013) http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/09/08/9-11-anniversary-45-terror-plots-foiled-in-last-10-years.html
- Bailey, Ronald. "How Scared of Terrorism Should You Be?" Reason. Sept. 6, 2011. (May 8, 2013) http://reason.com/archives/2011/09/06/how-scared-of-terrorism-should
- Branigin, William. "Two Sentenced to Die for USS Cole Attack." The Washington Post. Sept. 30, 2004. (May 10, 2013) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58874-2004Sep29.html
- Carafano, James Jay. "40 Terror Plots Foiled Since 9/11: Combating Complacency in the Long War on Terror." The Heritage Foundation. Sept. 7, 2011. (May 10, 2013) http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/09/40-terror-plots-foiled-since-9-11-combating-complacency-in-the-long-war-on-terror
- Cracked. "The 5 Most Embarrassing Failures in the History of Terrorism." Aug. 18, 2009. (May 10, 2013) http://www.cracked.com/article/79_the-5-most-embarrassing-failures-in-history-terrorism/
- Department of Justice. "Al Qaeda Associates Charged in Attack on USS Cole, Attempted Attack on Another U.S. Naval Vessel." May 15, 2003. (May 10, 2013) http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2003/May/03_crm_298.htm
- Department of Justice. "Ohio Man Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy to Provide Material Support to Terrorists." July 31, 2007. (May 10, 2013) http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2007/July/07_nsd_568.html
- Department of Justice. "Ohio Man Sentenced to Ten Years Imprisonment for Conspiracy to Provide Material Support to Terrorists." Nov. 27, 2007. (May 10, 2013) http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2007/November/07_nsd_944.html
- Dolmetsch, Chris. "New York Synagogue-Bomb Plotter Laguerre Payen Sentenced to 25 Years." Bloomberg. Sept. 7, 2011. (May 10, 2013) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-07/new-york-synagogue-bomb-plotter-laguerre-payen-sentenced-to-25-years.html
- The Economist. "Danger of Death." Feb. 14, 2013. (May 8, 2013) http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/02/daily-chart-7?fsrc=scn/tw/te/dc/dangerofdeath
- Elliott, Michael. "The Shoe Bomber's World." Time. Feb. 16, 2002. (May 10, 2013) http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,203478,00.html
- FBI. "Terror Plot Foiled: Inside the Smadi Case." Nov. 5, 2010. (May 10, 2013) http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2010/november/terror-plot-foiled
- Ferran, Lee. "Stink Bomb: Underwear Bomber Wore Explosive Undies for Weeks." ABC News. Sept. 28, 2012. (May 10, 2013) http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/09/stink-bomb-underwear-bomber-wore-explosive-undies-for-weeks-fbi-says/
- Fletcher, Dan. "10 Inept Terrorist Plots." Time. Sept. 8, 2009. (May 10, 2013). http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1920898_1920896_1920581,00.html
- Friona, Mary. "Lackawanna Six: Ten Years Later." WGRZ. Sept. 14, 2012. (May 10, 2013). http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/181654/1/Lackawanna-Six-Ten-Years-Later
- Horn, Dan. "Ohio Mall Terror Plot Changed." Cincinnati Enquirer. June 15, 2004. (May 10, 2013) http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/06/15/loc_loc1amallterr.html
- Parliament. "The Gunpowder Plot." (May 10, 2013) http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/gunpowder-plot/
- Purdy, Matthew and Bergman, Lowell. "Unclear Danger: Inside the Lackawanna Terror Case." The New York Times. Oct. 12, 2003. (May 10, 2013). http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/12/nyregion/12LACK.html
- Shipler, David. "Terrorist Plots, Hatched by the FBI." The New York Times. April 28, 2012. (May 8, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sunday/terrorist-plots-helped-along-by-the-fbi.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
- Tilford, Robert. "FBI still looking for USS Cole bombing suspect who escaped from jail twice." The Examiner. Sept. 13, 2012. (May 8, 2013) http://www.examiner.com/article/fbi-still-looking-for-uss-cole-bombing-suspect-who-escaped-from-jail-twice
- Trahan, Jason. "Dallas Bomb Plot Suspect Hosam Smadi Pleads Guilty, Faces up to 30 Years." Dallas Morning News. May 27, 2010. (May 10, 2013) http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20100527-Dallas-bomb-plot-suspect-Hosam-Smadi-891.ece
- Zuckerman, Jessica. "54th Terror Plot Against the U.S.: Qazi Brothers' Plot to Attack New York." The Heritage Foundation. Jan. 3, 2013. (May 8, 2013) http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2013/01/54th-terror-plot-against-the-us-qazi-brothers-plot
Oak Ridge TN was crucial in the development of the nuclear bomb during WWII. HowStuffWorks goes into the secret city.