Lots More Information
After 10 years, the massive experimental fusion energy plant in France is halfway complete. HowStuffWorks talks to experts about the project.
Author's Note: 5 Discoveries Made By the Large Hadron Collider
Following the completion of the LHC, some wondered what it would mean for physics if the Higgs boson failed to show up. It wasn't just the massive atom-smasher's primary raison d'être; it was a sort of lynchpin for the standard model.
Now there's a bigger problem, and it involves the cosmic background radiation measurements made by the second generation of the Background Imaging of Cosmic Extragalactic Polarization (BICEP2). If BICEP2's observations prove correct, then the Higgs field should have been energetic enough during the Big Bang to cause an immediate Big Crunch. In other words, if both ideas hold true, then we shouldn't be here to argue about why they can't possibly both be true.
- CERN. "Supersymmetry." (July 22, 2014) http://home.web.cern.ch/about/physics/supersymmetry
- CERN. "The Origins of the Brout-Englert-Higgs Mechanism." (July 24, 2014) http://home.web.cern.ch/topics/higgs-boson/origins-brout-englert-higgs-mechanism
- CERN. "The Standard Model." (July 22, 2014) http://home.web.cern.ch/about/physics/standard-model
- CERN. "Heavy Ions and Quark-Gluon Plasma." (July 24, 2014) http://home.web.cern.ch/about/physics/heavy-ions-and-quark-gluon-plasma
- Das, Saswato. "How the Higgs Boson Might Spell Doom for the Universe." Scientific American. March 26, 2013. (July 24, 2014) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-higgs-boson-might-spell-doom-for-the-universe/
- Diep, Francie. "'Indisputable' Proof of a New Four-Quark Particle." Popular Science. April10, 2014. (July 24, 2014) http://www.popsci.com/article/science/indisputable-proof-new-four-quark-particle
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Standard Model." (July 22, 2014) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/562968/standard-model
- Grant, Andrew. "Hard Times for Theorists in a Post-Higgs World." Science News. June 13, 2013. (July 22, 2014) https://www.sciencenews.org/article/hard-times-theorists-post-higgs-world
- Grant, Andrew. "Exotic Particle Packs a Foursome of Quarks." Science News. April 11, 2014. (July 15, 2014) https://www.sciencenews.org/article/exotic-particle-packs-foursome-quarks
- Grant, Andrew. "LHC Sees Odd Behavior in Superhot Particle Soup." Science News. Dec. 5, 2012. (July 22, 2014) https://www.sciencenews.org/article/lhc-sees-odd-behavior-superhot-particle-soup
- Johnston, Hamish. "Has LHCb Spotted Physics Beyond the Standard Model?" Physics.org. Aug. 2, 2013. http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2013/aug/02/has-lhcb-spotted-physics-beyond-the-standard-model
- Nobel Prize. "The Nobel Prize in Physics 2013." (July 22, 2014) http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2013/
- O'Luanaigh, Cian. "LHCb confirms existence of exotic hadrons." CERN. April 9, 2014. (July 30, 2014) http://home.web.cern.ch/about/updates/2014/04/lhcb-confirms-existence-exotic-hadrons
- O'Neill, Ian. "Hints of New Physics Detected in the LHC?" Discovery News. Aug. 2, 2013. (July 22, 2014) http://news.discovery.com/space/hints-of-new-physics-detected-in-the-lhc-130802.htm
- Oxford Dictionary of Science. "Elementary Particles" Isaacs, Alan, John Daintith and Elizabeth Martin, eds. Oxford University Press. 4th edition. 2003.
- Roland, Christof and Matthew Nguyen. "Quark Matter 2014: News from CMS." CERN Courier. May 22, 2014. (July 22, 2014) http://cms.web.cern.ch/news/quark-matter-2014-news-cms
- Siegfried, Tom. "It's Almost Time to Get to Know the Higgs Boson Better." Science News. June 23, 2014. (July 15, 2014) https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/context/its-almost-time-get-know-higgs-boson-better
- Siegfried, Tom. "It's Too Soon to Declare Supersymmetry a Tragedy." Science News. Oct. 17, 2013. (July 22, 2014) https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/context/it%E2%80%99s-too-soon-declare-supersymmetry-tragedy?mode=blog&context=117
- Siegfried, Tom. "Higgs Mass isn't Natural, but Maybe It Shouldn't Be." Science News. June 23, 2014. (July 22, 2014) https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/context/higgs-mass-isnt-natural-maybe-it-shouldnt-be
- Strassler, Matt. "What's a proton, anyway?" Of Particular Significance Blog. (Aug. 5, 2014) http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-and-posts/largehadroncolliderfaq/whats-a-proton-anyway/
- Than, Ker. "Densest Matter Created in Big-Bang Machine." National Geographic News. May 24, 2011. (July 22, 2014) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/05/110524-densest-matter-created-lhc-alice-big-bang-space-science/