Lots More Information
HowStuffWorks looks at whether an all-volunteer military makes the U.S. the best in the world, or if reinstating a draft could improve its might.
- How Backscatter X-ray Systems Work
- How Airport Security Works
- How Biometrics Works
- How Fingerprinting Works
- How Facial Recognition Systems Work
- How the CIA Works
- How the FBI Works
- How to Become an Army Intelligence Analyst
- How Virtual Reality Military Applications Work
- Do "backscatter" X-ray systems pose a risk to frequent fliers?
- Do gamers make good soldiers?
More Great Links
- Campbell, Hank. "Future Attribute Screening Technology – Detecting Crime Before It Happens." Science 2.0. ION Publications, LLC. May 31, 2011. (June 20, 2011) http://www.science20.com/science_20/future_attribute_screening_technology_detecting_crime_it_happens-79553
- Critical Infrastructure Inspection Management System (CIIMS). "Overview." Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. (June 20, 2011) http://ciims.jhuapl.edu/CIIMS.aspx
- Cross Match Technologies, Inc. "SEEK II." (June 20, 2011) http://www.crossmatch.com/seekII.php
- Pellerin, Cheryl. "Immersive Technology Fuels Infantry Simulators." American Forces Press Service. U.S. Department of Defense. May 13, 2011. (June 20, 2011) http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=63933
- McCleary, Paul. "Battlefield 411." Defense Technology International. McGraw-Hill. June 2011. p. 48.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). "Command, Control and Interoperability Programs and Projects." Aug. 5, 2009. (June 20, 2011) http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1218474924792.shtm
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). "Human Factors/Behavioral Sciences Projects." May 27, 2011. (June 20, 2011) http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1218480185439.shtm
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). "Privacy Impact Assessment for the Future Attribute Screening Technology (FAST) Project." Dec. 15, 2008. (June 20, 2011) http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_pia_st_fast.pdf
- Weinberger, Sharon. "Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in the United States." May 27, 2011. Nature News. Nature Publishing Group. Macmillan Publishers, Ltd. (June 20, 2011) http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110527/full/news.2011.323.html