Lots More Information
Man has been building islands for centuries using extraordinary feats of engineering. But at what cost to the environment? We'll explain.
- Bain, Jenn. "Amazing Bridges of the World." Travel + Leisure. August 2008. (April 1, 2009) http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/amazing-bridges-of-the-world
- Gateshead Millennium Web site.http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Leisure%20and%20Culture/attractions/bridge/Facts.aspx
- Hoffman, Carl. "The 20th-Annual Best of What's New: Strait of Messina Bridge." Popular Science. Nov. 7, 2007. (April 1, 2009)http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2004-04/strait-messina-bridge
- Kashima, Satoshi and Makoto Kitagawa. "The Longest Suspension Bridge." Scientific American. December 1997.
- Kleefeld, Eric. "UW-Madison engineers apply award-winning technology to road building." Wisconsin Technology Network News. Nov. 9, 2005. (April 1, 2009)http://wistechnology.com/articles/2465/
- Lundhus, Peter. "Bridging Borders in Scandinavia." Scientific American Presents: The Tall, the Deep, the Long. 1999.
- Macaulay, David. "Building Big." Walter Lorraine Books. 2000.
- McCarthy, Erin. "New Minn. Bridge Plans Arise as Bad Plates Fingered in Collapse."
- NOVA. "China Bridge" Companion Web site, "Bridge the Gap" resource. (April 1, 2009)http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/china/meetsusp.html
- Øresund Bridge Web site. (April 1, 2009)http://www.oresundsbron.com/documents/document.php?obj=994
- PBS Building Big Web Site: All About Bridges. (April 1, 2009) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/bridge/index.html
- Popular Mechanics. Jan. 26, 2008. (April 1, 2009)http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/transportation/4245065.html