Author's Note: How do you build an underwater tunnel?
In writing this article, I could only touch on the basics of constructing underwater tunnels, which is an injustice comparable to equating defusing a bomb with programming a DVR. In reality, the dangers involved and the precision required in constructing an underwater tunnel are simply staggering. Excavating and constructing these modern marvels requires nothing short of constant vigilance, keen adaptability and minute adjustments to changing conditions, to say nothing of the care that workers and divers must exercise.
It's something worth thinking about the next time you find yourself traveling through an underwater tunnel. Perhaps it will distract you from the millions of tons of earth or water pressing down or, if you are in Japan's Seikan Tunnel, from the sound of water tinkling in through the walls to be drained by the pumps at 20 tons per minute.
- American Society of Civil Engineers. "Seikan Tunnel." http://www.asce.org/Featured-Images/Seikan-Tunnel/
- Assignment Discovery. "Shield Tunneling." https://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/29896-assignment-discovery-shield-tunneling-video.htm
- Assignment Discovery. "Tunnel Boring Machines." https://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/36684-mega-engineering-tunnel-boring-machines-video.htm
- Browne, Malcolm. "Tunnel Drilling, Old as Babylon, Now Becomes Safer." The New York Times. Dec. 2, 1990. http://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/02/world/tunnel-drilling-old-as-babylon-now-becomes-safer.html
- Chan, Sewell. "Who's Watching the Underwater Tunnels?" The New York Times. July 20, 2005. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/20/nyregion/20tunnels.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&sq&st=cse%22%22Immersed%20tube&scp=4
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Sea of Marmara." http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/365921/Sea-of-Marmara
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Tunneling Shield." http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/609360/tunneling-shield
- Everglades Economics. "Comparing Costs of Options for Reconstructing the 12th and 27th Avenue Bridges Over the Miami River." Miami River Commission. February 2003. http://www.miamirivercommission.org/PDF/tunnel%20study.pdf
- Extreme Engineering. "Building an Immersed Tunnel." https://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/29855-extreme-engineering-building-an-immersed-tunnel-video.htm
- Extreme Engineering. "Finishing the Immersed Tunnel." https://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/29853-extreme-engineering-finishing-the-immersed-tunnel-video.htm
- Extreme Engineering. "Transatlantic Tunnel Design." https://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/29150-extreme-engineering-transatlantic-tunnel-design-video.htm
- Harrison, Harry. "A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!" Pinnacle Books. 1972.
- Hewett, Bertram Henry. "Shield and Compressed Air Tunneling." McGraw-Hill. 1922.
- JR-Hokkaido Hakodate Branch. "Seikan Tunnel." http://jr.hakodate.jp/global/english/train/tunnel/default.htm
- Landler, Mark. "A Subway Bores Into the Ottoman and Byzantine Eras." The New York Times. Aug. 2, 2005. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/international/europe/02istanbul.html?pagewanted=print&_r=0
- Lane, Kenneth S. "Tunnels and Underground Excavations." Encyclopaedia Britannica. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/609297/tunnels-and-underground-excavations#toc72433
- Marmaray Project. "The Immersed Tube Tunnel." 2003. http://www.marmaray.com/html/tech_immersed.html
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. "Lincoln Tunnel: History." http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/lincoln-tunnel-history.html
- Sweeney, Chris. "The World's 18 Strangest Tunnels." Popular Mechanics. http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/architecture/4343590#slide-1
- WGBH Educational Foundation. "Channel Tunnel (Chunnel)." PBS. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/wonder/structure/channel.html
- WGBH Educational Foundation. "Seikan Tunnel." PBS. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/wonder/structure/seikan.html
- WGBH Educational Foundation. "Tunnel Basics." PBS. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/tunnel/basics.html
- Wise, Jeff. "Turkey Building the World's Deepest Immersed Tube Tunnel." Popular Mechanics. Oct. 1, 2009. http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/4217338