Author's Note: How does biodiversity help an ecosystem?
OK, I know what you're saying. If I'm such a biodiversity nut, why am I always cutting down trees? Let me draw you a picture. Most are dead, and two have fallen on the house, most recently when Superstorm Sandy slammed into New England. I realize that some birds might be displaced when I cut down those trees. But, by replacing the deadwood with grasses and flowers, I'll create a more wonderful ecosystem and I won't have to worry every time a mighty wind blows.
- Eng, James. "Seven big problems for 7 billion people." NBC News. Oct. 26, 2011. (Feb. 28, 2013) http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44990504/ns/us_news-life/
- Midlothian. "Biodiversity projects: What you can do to improve biodiversity." (Feb. 28, 2013) http://www.midlothian.gov.uk/info/200134/biodiversity/412/biodiversity_projects
- National Geographic. "Forest Holocaust." (Feb. 28, 2013) http://www.nationalgeographic.com/eye/deforestation/effect.html
- National Wildlife Federation. "What is Biodiversity?" (Feb. 27, 2013) http://www.nwf.org/wildlife/wildlife-conservation/biodiversity.aspx
- Natural History Museum. "What threatens our biodiversity?" (Feb. 28, 2013) http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/biodiversity/what-is-threatening-biodiversity/index.html
- Natural History Museum. "Why conserve biodiversity?" (Feb. 28, 2013) http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/biodiversity/why-conserve-biodiversity/index.html
- University of Copenhagen. "The biodiversity crisis: Worse than climate change." Jan. 19, 2012. (Feb. 28, 2013) http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-01/uoc-tbc011912.php