Arizona Public Service
It’s no secret that there’s plenty of sun in Arizona, but now those golden rays may help residents lower their utility bills. Arizona Public Service has partnered with GE and plans to use solar power to partially fuel its new smart grid.
The project will start with rooftop panels on houses and businesses, as well as a new solar park. Together, the panels should generate 1.5 megawatts that can be distributed to customers. The key, according to researchers, will be figuring out the most effective ways to feed solar juice to the smart grid. The good news for customers is that the project will subsidize the start-up costs to install the solar panels and secure them a low fixed rate for electricity use for the next 20 years. By then, maybe we’ll have figured out ways to generate and distribute power in cheaper and greener ways -- with the help of clever smart grid cooperatives like these, of course.
- American Electric Power. “gridSMART Mobile Provides Hands-On, Interactive Experiences.” (Dec. 7, 2011) https://www.aepohio.com/info/community/gridSMART/gridSMARTFromAEPOhioTour.aspx
- Brady, Jennifer. “Vermont Electric Cooperative wins POWER Magazine Smart Grid Award.” VTdigger. Aug. 1, 2011. (Dec. 7. 2011) http://vtdigger.org/2011/08/01/vec-smart-grid-award/
- Computer History. “Timeline of Computer History.” (Dec. 3, 2011) http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?category=cmptr
- Galbraith, Kate. “Austin Studies Power Grid, including Plug-In Cars.” The New York Times. Sept. 29, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/30/us/austin-studies-power-grid-including-plug-in-cars.html?_r=1
- General Electric. “GE to Study Impact of High Solar Energy Penetration.” April 21, 2010. (Dec. 5, 2011) http://www.smartgridnews.com/artman/uploads/1/GE_solar.pdf
- Smart Grid News. “GE Smart Grid Pilot: Show Time in Maui.” April 5, 2010. (Dec. 3, 2011) http://www.smartgridnews.com/artman/publish/Technologies_Home_Area_Networks_News/GE-Smart-Grid-Pilot-Show-Time-in-Maui-2110.html
- Marston, Jim. “Smart Money and the Smart Grid: An Inside Look at Austin’s Pecan Street Project.” Smart Grid News. April 13, 2010. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.smartgridnews.com/artman/publish/Stimulus_Awards_Projects_News/Smart-Money-and-the-Smart-Grid-An-Inside-Look-at-Austin-s-Pecan-Street-Project-2158.html
- Obrien, Kathleen. “How Solar Power is Integrated into the Grid.” GE Global Research. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://ge.geglobalresearch.com/blog/how-solar-power-is-integrated-into-the-grid/
- Pecan Street Inc. “Families Welcome Chevy Volts to Mueller Community.” Sept. 29, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.pecanstreet.org/2011/09/feature-families-welcome-chevy-volts-to-mueller-community/
- Reitenbach, Gail. “Smart Grid Award: Vermont Electric Cooperative Takes Wise Approach to Smart Grid Projects.” Power Magazine. Aug. 1, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.powermag.com/issues/features/Smart-Grid-Award-Vermont-Electric-Cooperative-Takes-Wise-Approach-to-Smart-Grid-Projects_3884_p4.html
- Smart Grid News. “AEP Picks S&C Electric for gridSMART Demonstration Project.” Dec. 7, 2009. (Dec. 7, 2011) http://www.smartgridnews.com/artman/publish/Stimulus_News_Digest_News/AEP-picks-S-C-Electric-for-gridSMART-Demonstration-Project-1601.html
- The National Rural Electric Cooperative Association. “History of Electric Co-ops.” (Dec. 2, 2011) http://www.nreca.coop/members/History/Pages/default.aspx
- Mott, Jonathan. “What is an Executive Order?” This Nation. (Dec. 2, 2011) http://thisnation.com/question/040.html
Disposing and storing coal ash is tricky, and it takes one small trigger to cause a catastrophe. HowStuffWork looks at coal ash and the environment.