Global Warming Isn't 'Settled Science'
"There's no such thing as settled science" is the last, best line of defense for those who don't believe in global warming, because it sounds so, well, scientific. It perhaps was most eloquently articulated by Texas Gov. Rick Perry in a 2011 Republican presidential debate.
"The idea that we would put Americans' economy at jeopardy based on scientific theory that's not settled yet to me is just nonsense," Perry explained. "Just because you have a group of scientists who stood up and said, here is the fact. Galileo got outvoted for a spell" [source: Saenz].
Besides the fact that this argument doesn't really refute any of the specifics of climate change theory, there's another problem: It's a debate in search of participants. Of the 4,014 scientific papers published between 1991 and 2011 that took a position on whether humans were causing global warming, for example, 97.1 percent endorsed the idea, while only 1.9 percent rejected it, and another 1 percent were uncertain [source: Cook et al.].
Additionally, just about every major scientific academy and professional organization in the world — some 200 of them — have adopted the position that the climate is changing and humans are largely responsible [source: Ca.gov]. That may not be absolute unanimity, but it's pretty close to it.
Author's Note: 10 Things That Don't Disprove Global Warning
A few years ago, while working on a magazine story, I visited the affluent southern California enclave of Balboa Island, where sea levels have risen for decades. Residents had found that their seawall, ranging from 7.5 to 9.5 feet (2 to-3 meters) tall, built back in the mid-1930s, was no longer high enough to protect their multimillion-dollar houses against flooding in during storms, and they were looking at raising $80 million to build a new 14-foot (4 meter) wall to protect their property against future storms. To them, global warming was no longer an abstract issue. Whether or not they believed humans were to blame, the trend they could see in their harbor's tidal records was discomfiting, and the risk of not doing anything was too great. I think that's a good metaphor for the situation that the rest of the world is in.
- Adam, David. "'Climategate' review clears scientists of dishonesty over data." Guardian. July 7, 2010. (March 2, 2014) http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jul/07/climategate-review-clears-scientists-dishonesty
- American Meteorological Society. "Climate Change." Ametsoc.org. Aug. 20, 2012. (March 3, 2014) https://www.ametsoc.org/policy/2012climatechange.html
- Biello, David. "As Ocean Warms, Coral Loses Anchor in Acidic Waters." Scientific American. July 28, 2008. (March 3, 2014) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coral-reefs-lose-grip-under-global-warming/
- Birdlife International. "Climate Change is Already Affecting Birds in Diverse Ways." Birdlife.org. 2004. (March 3, 2014) http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/sowb/casestudy/183
- Cook, John, Dana Nuccitelli, Sarah A. Green, Mark Richardson, Barbel Winkler, Rob Painting, Robert Wary, Peter Jacobs and Andrew Skuce. "Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature." Environmental Research Letters. May 15, 2013. (March 3, 2014) http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/8/2/024024/article
- Cooke, Charles C.W. "Don't Blame Climate Change
- for the California Drought." National Review. Feb. 4, 2014. (March 3, 2014) http://www.nationalreview.com/article/370351/dont-blame-climate-change-california-drought-charles-c-w-cooke
- Costello, Carol. "Why are we still debating climate change?" CNN. Feb. 24, 2014. (March 3, 2014) http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/24/opinion/costello-debate-climate-change/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
- Cowtan, Kevin and Way, Robert G. "Coverage bias in the HadCRUT4 temperature series and its impact on recent temperature trends." Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society. Feb. 12, 2014. (March 3, 2014) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.2297/abstract
- Crockford, Susan. "Junk Science Week: Now we have too many polar bears?" Financial Post. June 12, 2013. (March 3, 2014) http://opinion.financialpost.com/2013/06/12/junk-science-week-now-we-have-too-many-polar-bears/
- Dai, Aiguo. "Increasing drought under global warming in observations and models." Nature Climate Change. Jan. 22, 2013. (March 3, 2014) http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v3/n1/full/nclimate1633.html
- Drexel University. "Not Just the Koch Brothers: New Drexel Study Reveals Funders Behind the Climate Change Denial Effort." Drexel University. Dec. 20, 2013. (March 3, 2014) http://drexel.edu/now/news-media/releases/archive/2013/December/Climate-Change/#sthash.coszLNRy.dpuf
- Gillis, Justin. "Heat-Trapping Gas Passes Milestone, Raising Fears." The New York Times. May 10, 2013. (March 2, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/11/science/earth/carbon-dioxide-level-passes-long-feared-milestone.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
- Gillis, Justin. "Science Linking Drought to Global Warming Remains Matter of Dispute." The New York Times. Feb. 16, 2014. (March 2, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/17/science/some-scientists-disagree-with-presidents-linking-drought-to-warming.html?_r=0
- Gleick, Peter. "Global Warming Has Stopped? How to Fool People Using Cherry-Picked Climate Data." Forbes. Feb. 5, 2012. (March 3, 2014) http://www.forbes.com/sites/petergleick/2012/02/05/global-warming-has-stopped-how-to-fool-people-using-cherry-picked-climate-data/
- Governor's Office of Planning and Research. "List of Worldwide Scientific Organizations That Hold The Position That Climate Change Has Been Caused By Humans." Ca.gov. 2011. (March 3 2014) http://opr.ca.gov/s_listoforganizations.php
- Graham, Caroline. "The poster boys of climate change thrive in the icy Arctic: Polar bears defy concerns about their extinction." Daily Mail. Sept. 28, 2013. (March 2, 2014) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2436882/The-poster-boys-climate-change-thrive-icy-Arctic-Polar-bears-defy-concerns-extinction.html
- Hammond, Cheryl. "An Inconvenient Truth." Missouri.sierraclub.org. October 2006. (March 3, 2014) http://missouri.sierraclub.org/sierranonline/2006/10/inconvenient.html
- Independent Climate Change E-mails Review. "Report of the Independent Climate Change E-mails Review." Cce-review.org. July 7, 2010. (March 3, 2014) http://www.cce-review.org/
- Johnson, Terrell. "Polar Vortex and Climate Change: Why Rush Limbaugh and Others Are Wrong." Weather.com. Jan. 9, 2014. (March 3, 2014) http://www.weather.com/news/science/environment/climate-change-skeptics-winter-cold-global-warming-still-real-20140107
- Kiger, Patrick J. "Knee-Deep in Doubt." Orange Coast Magazine. May 2012. (March 3, 2014) http://www.orangecoast.com/may2012/feature/balboaisland.aspx
- King, David and Finch, Deborah M. "Effects of Climate Change on Terrestrial Birds of North America." U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Climate Change Resource Center. 2013. (March 3, 2014) http://www.fs.fed.us/ccrc/topics/wildlife/birds/
- Konnikova, Maria. "Hot Heads in Cold Weather." NewYorker.com. Feb. 7, 2014. (March 3, 2014) http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2014/02/how-cold-weather-makes-you-forget-about-global-warming.html
- Krauthammer, Charles. "The myth of 'settled science'." New York Daily News. Feb. 20, 2014. (March 2, 2014) http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/myth-settled-science-article-1.1621678
- Limbaugh, Rush."The Evidence Proves Global Warming is a Hoax, But That Doesn't Stop the Left." Rushlimbaugh.com. Aug. 28, 2013. (March 2, 2014) http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/08/28/the_evidence_proves_global_warming_is_a_hoax_but_that_doesn_t_stop_the_left
- Mooney, Chris. "Winter Does Not Disprove Global Warming." Slate. Jan. 4, 2014. (March 3, 2014) http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/01/climate_change_deniers_cite_snowstorm_debunking_donald_trump_et_al.html
- NASA. "Causes of Climate Change: A Blanket Around the Earth." Nasa.gov. Undated. (March 3, 2014) http://climate.nasa.gov/causes
- NASA. "Climate Change: Frequently Asked Questions." Nasa.gov. Undated. (March 2, 2014) http://climate.nasa.gov/climatechangeFAQ#Q1
- NASA. "Climate Change: How Much Do We Know?" Nasa.gov. Undated. (March 3, 1014) http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence
- NASA. "Consensus: 97 Percent of Scientists Agree." Nasa.gov. Undated. (March 2, 2014) http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus
- National Snow and Ice Data Center. "Thicker on Top, More Down Under." Nsidc.org. Feb. 5, 2014. (March 3, 2014) http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2014/02/thicker-on-top-higher-down-under/
- NBC News. "Climate change threatening polar bears in Canada." Nbcnews.com. Nov. 13, 2013. (March 2, 2014) http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/climate-change-threatening-polar-bears-canada-v21441506
- Parry, Wynne. "Did Global Warming Really Stop in 1997?" Livescience. Oct. 16, 2012. (March 2, 2014) http://www.livescience.com/24006-did-global-warming-stop-1997.html
- Peterson, Thomas, William M. Connolley, and John Fieck. "The Myth of the Global Cooling Consensus." Journal of the American Meteorological Society. September 2008. (March 2, 2014) http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2008BAMS2370.1
- Pew Research Center. "GOP Deeply Divided Over Climate Change." Nov. 1, 2013. (March 3, 2014) http://www.people-press.org/2013/11/01/gop-deeply-divided-over-climate-change/
- Plait, Phil. "Another Week, Another Climate Change Denial Article in The Mail." Slate.com. Sept. 16, 2013. (March 2, 2014) http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/09/16/climate_change_more_nonsense_by_the_mail_on_sunday.html
- Plait, Phil. "The Earth Is Warming Faster Now Than It Has in 11,000 Years." Slate.com. March 13, 2013. (March 3, 2014) http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/13/global_warming_new_study_shows_warming_is_faster_than_it_has_been_in_11.html
- Rose, David. "And Now It's Global COOLING!" Daily Mail. Sept. 7, 2013. (March 3, 2014) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415191/And-global-COOLING-Return-Arctic-ice-cap-grows-29-year.html
- Saenz, Arlette. "Rick Perry, Galileo and Global Warming." ABC News. Sept. 8, 2011. (March 3, 2014) http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/09/rick-perry-galileo-and-global-warming/
- Samenow, Jason. "Arctic sea ice has *not* recovered, in 7 visuals." Washington Post. Sept. 18, 2013. (March 2, 2014) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/09/18/arctic-sea-ice-has-not-recovered-in-7-visuals/
- Schneider, Stephen H. "Climate Change: Do We Know Enough for Policy Action?" Science and Engineering Ethics. 2006. (March 2, 2014) http://stanford.edu/dept/france-stanford/Conferences/Risk/Schneider.pdf
- ScienceDaily. "Butterflies and birds unable to keep pace with climate change in Europe."ScienceDaily. Jan. 18, 2012. (March 3, 2014) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120118111742.htm
- Unger, Zac. "The Truth About Polar Bears." Canadiangeographic.ca. December 2012. (March 3, 2014) http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/dec12/polar_bears.asp
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. "Overview of Greenhouse Gases." Epa.gov. Jan. 27, 2014. (March 3, 2014) http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/gases/co2.html
- WWF. "Polar Bear Status, Distribution and Population. Wwf.panda.org. Undated. (March 3, 2014)http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/where_we_work/arctic/wildlife/polar_bear/population/
The Mushroom Burial Suit is designed to give our dead bodies new life. HowStuffWorks looks at the science.