Author's Note: How do you grow meat in a lab?
My father was a grocery store owner and a butcher, so I grew up around meat of all kinds. We ate steaks and hamburgers probably several times a week, in addition to pastrami, stews, bacon, sausage, and plenty of a strange, oily processed meat product called chipped ham, for which people in my hometown of Pittsburgh had a peculiar craving. But after I grew up and reached middle age, I mysteriously lost my desire to eat meat. I think some of it has to do with being the owner of three dogs, and realizing that it felt strange to eat some animals and play fetch with others. Today, I subsist on rice and beans, cashew butter, fresh and cooked vegetables, oatmeal and raw salads and fruit, a small amount of cheese and eggs, and an occasional serving of farm-raised tilapia. Maybe I'm a mammal supremacist, but I don't get quite as misty-eyed about fish. The idea of synthetic meat intrigues me, though I'm not sure if I'd actually eat it, even if it was available. I've gotten so accustomed to my plant-based diet that I'm not sure that meat would taste good to me at this point.
- Churchill, Winston. "Fifty Years Hence." Strand Magazine. December 1931. (October 19, 2012) http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=1914
- EarthSave. "Food Choices." Earthsave.org. Undated. (October 19, 2012) http://www.earthsave.org/environment.htm
- Gayle, Damien. "Artificial meat grown in a lab could become a reality THIS year." Daily Mail. January 17, 2012. (October 19, 2012 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2087837/Test-tube-meat-reality-year-scientists-work-make-profitable.html#ixzz29nUMoqHA
- Ghosh, Pallab. "Lab-Grown Meat is First Step to Artificial Hamburger." BBC News. February 19, 2012. (October 19. 2012) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16972761
- In Vitro Meat Consortium. "Preliminary Economics Study." Invitromeat.org. March 2008. (October 19, 2012) http://invitromeat.org/images/Papers/invitro%20meat%20economics%20study%20v5%20%20march%2008.pdf
- Kiger, Patrick J. "Test Tube Burgers?" Blogs.discovery.com. April 25, 2008. (October 19, 2012) http://blogs.discovery.com/good_idea/2008/04/test-tube-burge.html
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. "PETA Offers $1 Million Reward to First to Make In Vitro Meat." Undated. (October 19, 2012) http://www.peta.org/features/In-Vitro-Meat-Contest.aspx
- Sample, Ian. "Fish Fillets Grow in Tank." New Scientist. March 20, 2002. (October 19, 2012) http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2066
- Timmer, John. "Lab-Grown Meats Face Long Road to Supermarket." Wired.com. November 15, 2011. (October 19, 2012). http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/11/artificial-meat-economics/
- Winter, Michael. "Meat grown in lab may yield first 'test-tube burger' by fall." USA Today. February 20, 2012. (October 19, 2012) http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/02/meat-grown-in-lab-may-yield-first-test-tube-burger-by-fall/1#.UIHOFMU0V8F
- Wired UK. "PayPal Founder Backs Synthetic Meat Printing Company." Wired.com. August 16, 2012. (October 19, 2012) http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/08/3d-printed-meat/