Lots More Information
Sofa sleepers have come a long way, especially when it comes to ease of extension. I remember staying with family friends as a child, and being the "lucky" one to sleep on the pullout sofa. The sofa sleeper prep I witnessed that night went something like this: Move the coffee table. Remove cushions and pillows from sofa. Pull on bed frame recessed in sofa. Grasp lower back in pain. Enlist help. Pull on recessed bed again. Wrestle with folding mechanism. Successfully extend sofa bed.
Thankfully, that's not really the case anymore. My last encounter with a sofa sleeper was a breeze -- acquiescing hinges, comfy mattress -- and no complaints.
- Caceres, Melissa. "Iconic South Florida Furniture Company Castro Convertibles Returns." Sun-Sentinel. July 6, 2012. (Feb. 13, 2012) http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-07-06/business/fl-castro-convertibles-returns-20120706_1_bernard-castro-sofa-krause-furniture
- California State Polytechnic University. "Sarah E. Goode." (Feb. 10, 2013) http://www.csupomona.edu/~plin/inventors/goode.html
- Castro Convertibles. "Castro Convertibles: Back and Better Than Ever." (Feb. 10, 2013) http://www.castroconvertibles.com/about-us/
- Design Boom. "Role of the Chaise-Longue (Daybed) in Different Cultures." (Feb. 10, 2013) http://www.designboom.com/history/3.html
- George Washington Wired. "Settee Bedstead." (Feb. 10, 2013) http://www.georgewashingtonwired.org/2010/12/26/object-spotlight-holiday-edition-settee-bedstead/
- Medina, Carlos. "Castro Unfolds the Family Business." Ocala. July 12, 2012. (Feb. 10, 2013) http://www.ocala.com/article/20120712/ARTICLES/120719903
- Our Weekly. "Black History Fact of the Week." July 21, 2010. (Feb. 13, 2013) http://ourweekly.com/los-angeles/black-history-fact-week
- Solomon, Barbara. "The New Breed of Sleeper Sofas." Consumers Digest. November 2012. (Feb. 10, 2013) http://www.consumersdigest.com/home/the-new-breed-of-sleeper-sofas/sleeper-sofas
- Soniak, Matt. "Who Was Murphy and Why is There a Bed Named After Him?" Mental Floss. (Feb. 10, 2013) http://mentalfloss.com/article/30266/who-was-murphy-and-why-there-bed-named-after-him
- Thomas Jefferson Foundation. "Alcove Beds." (Feb. 10, 2013) http://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/alcove-beds