You can buy just about anything imaginable from Amazon.com. But the Web site doesn't have a built-in price tracker, and that's where TheTracktor.com comes in.
This mashup helps you acquire pricing information that will aid you in making informed purchasing decisions. You can see the pricing history of any item, so you'll know if you just missed out on a steep discount. Dates for those price drops are listed as well, which is extremely helpful if you anticipate a seasonal price shift. Are snow blowers really cheaper in July? Now you'll know.
Even better, you're able to designate the price you're hoping to pay for a specific product. For example, if you'd love to buy that new ballet tutu once it falls below $400, The Tracktor will email you a notification when that $399 price tag becomes a reality.
As you can see, mashups range from frivolous to indispensable. With a few keyword searches, you may be able to find the perfect mashup for your specific needs -- and then you can start mashing an overwhelming amount of Web data into truly usable information.
- Adams, Holt. "Mashup Business Scenarios and Patterns: Part 1." IBM DeveloperWorks. Jan. 27, 2009. (March 1, 2011)http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/lotus/library/mashups-patterns-pt1/
- Calore, Michael. "Web Mashups Turn Citizens into Washington's Newest Watchdogs." Wired. April 26, 2007. (March 1, 2011)http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2007/04/maplight
- Clarkin, Larry and Holmes, Josh. "Enterprise Mashups." The Architecture Journal. (March 2, 2011)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/architecture/bb906060.aspx
- Crupi, John and Warner, Chris. "Enterprise Mashups Part I: Bringing SOA to the People." SOA Magazine. May 16, 2008. (March 2, 2011)http://www.soamag.com/I18/0508-1.php
- Greene, Kate. "Web Mashups Made Easy." MIT Technology Review. March 12, 2008. (March 1, 2011)http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20400/?a=f
- Merrill, Duane. "Mashups: The New Breed of Web App." IBM DeveloperWorks. Aug. 8, 2006. (March 2, 2011)http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-mashups.html
- Robinson, Brian. "Web Mashups Put Transparency to the Test." Federal Computer Week. Jan. 6, 2010. (March 2, 2011)http://fcw.com/articles/2010/01/11/feat-mashups-test-transparency.aspx
- Warner, Chris and Crupi, John. "Enterprise Mashups Part II: Why SOA Architects Should Care." SOA Magazine. Aug. 13, 2008. (March 2, 2011)http://www.soamag.com/I21/0808-1.php
HowStuffWorks looks at the trend toward downsizing that has led more than a few people to make their home in the tiny space of a shipping container.