Climate Change Getting Worse
Speaking of rising temps, climate change is worsening, and according to a 2013 draft report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, it will have "widespread and consequential" impacts for the entire planet. According to the report, climate change will make human health problems worse in many regions. Temperature increases will affect food crops such as wheat, rice and maize in tropical and temperate regions.
The report also predicts dire political consequences, such as civil war, as climate change diminishes food production, increases poverty and wreaks havoc with the economies of many nations. Moreover, by 2100, sea levels will rise, displacing hundreds of millions of people, particularly for multiple areas of Asia [source: Guillen].
Author's Note: 2013's Biggest Scientific Discoveries
"A cloak! A cloak! My kingdom for an invisibility cloak." Ah, yes, nothing mesmerizes more than a good scientific discovery. While the Higgs boson is worthy of Einstein, one of my favorite people of all time, I think I would trade it in for an invisibility cloak, at least one that would make me totally invisible. We're getting closer. Maybe it'll be in next year's top 10.
- Borenstein, Seth. "Milky Way Teeming With Billions of Earth-Size Planets." Associated Press (on Huffington Post). Nov. 4, 2013. (Nov. 22, 2013) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/04/earth-size-planets_n_4215873.html
- Burns, John F. "Bones under Parking Lot Belong to Richard III." The New York Times. Feb. 4, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/world/europe/richard-the-third-bones.html?_r=2&
- Chow, Denise. "Immune to Cancer: Naked Mole Rats Reveal Their Secret." Live Science. June 19, 2013. (Nov. 24, 2013) http://www.livescience.com/37555-cancer-resistance-naked-mole-rats.html
- Ford, Dana and Smith-Park, Laura. "King Richard III had worms, scientists say." CNN. Sept. 5, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2013) http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/04/world/europe/uk-king-richard-worms/
- Gabrielsen, Paul. "Jim Morrison Lizard: Extinct Prehistoric Species Named Barbaturex Morrisoni In Nod To Rocker." June 5, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2013). http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/05/jim-morrison-lizard-extinct-prehistoric-species-barbaturex-morrisoni_n_3389232.html
- Guillen, Alex. "Leaked IPCC report details grim picture for climate change's effects—Obama stumps for McAuliffe." Politico. Nov. 4, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2013) http://www.politico.com/morningenergy/1113/morningenergy12117.html
- Hall, Ashley. "Bionic eye prototype unveiled by Victorian scientists and designers." ABC.net. June 8, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2013) http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-07/latest-bionic-eye-prototype-unveiled-in-victoria/4741190
- Holmes, Nigel. "What is the Higgs?" The New York Times. March 5, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/science/chasing-the-higgs-boson-how-2-teams-of-rivals-at-CERN-searched-for-physics-most-elusive-particle.html?adxnnl=1&view=Game_of_Bumps&ref=higgsboson&adxnnlx=1385219691-CQT+Ibo61fcAqjfVSynO+A
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "More Large-Scale Invisibility Cloaks, This Time From China and Beyond." June 11, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2013) http://www.technologyreview.com/view/515936/more-large-scale-invisibility-cloaks-this-time-from-china-and-beyond/
- NASA. "Could Mars Have Once Harbored Life?" March 12, 2013. (Nov. 23, 2013) http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20130312.html
- Pocklington, Rebecca. "Harry Potter 'invisibility cloak' invented by scientists." Mirror News. Nov. 12, 2013. (Nov. 22, 2013) http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/harry-potter-invisibility-cloak-invented-2783655
- Wall, Mike. "Wow! Ancient Mars Could have Supported Primitive Life, NASA Say." Space.com. March 12,2013. (Nov. 23, 2013) http://www.space.com/20182-ancient-mars-microbes-curiosity-rover.html
Could Sonic the Hedgehog realistically handle supersonic speeds? HowStuffWorks explores what else Sonic might need to survive his speediness.