Make Time For Yourself
It can often be difficult to maintain a stable, upbeat attitude, especially in a down economy. There's nothing wrong with striving for a positive piece of mind, but you also have to know when to relax. Between working (or, for increasing numbers of us, searching for work), maintaining relationships, managing finances and everything else most of us try to juggle in our lives, it can be pretty easy to get stressed-out and overwhelmed.
Sometimes, the best thing you can do for yourself and your state of mind is to just do whatever you want. Turn off your Blackberry and spend some time with your family, or catch up with a friend over coffee. Remember to take time out for yourself. Find a quiet corner and read a book or get up early and take a walk alone. To remain upbeat you have to be happy, and in order to be happy you have to find a balance in your life that includes time for friends, family and, most importantly, you.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Alice. "Orgasms and Endorphins" Columbia.edu. 2005. (April 27, 2009)http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0483.html
- Chen, Stephanie. "Bad Economy? Do What You Love." CNN. Feb. 24, 2009. (May 1, 2009)http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/02/24/economy.career/index.html
- Dahl, Melissa. "Your Happiness Could Be Contagious." MSNBC. Dec. 4, 2008. (04/27/09)http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28058552/
- American Heritage Science Dictionary. "Endorphin." Dictionary.com. 2002. (April 28, 2009).http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/endorphin
- Epperson, Sharon. "Don't Let Job Loss Take Your Family as Well." CNBC. Feb. 26, 2009. (Feb. 28, 2009)http://www.cnbc.com/id/29301837
- Geary, Leslie Haggin. "Picking Up the Pieces After Divorce." CNN. May 1, 2002. (April 27, 2009)http://money.cnn.com/2002/05/01/pf/expert/planning/q_divorce/index.htm
- Kolata, Gina. "Yes, Running Can Make You High." New York Times. March 27, 2008. (April 28, 2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/health/nutrition/27best.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
- Ungless, Jenny. "Don't Let Work Take Over Your Life." Monster.ie. 2007. (April 27, 2009)http://content.monster.ie/8972_en-GB_p2.asp
- Walker, Melissa. "Endorphins 101: Your Guide to Natural Euphoria." YourTotalHealth. 2009. (April 29, 2009)http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/endorphins-101-your-guide-natural-euphoria.html
- WebMd. "10 Immune System Busters and Boosters." 2008. (April 27, 2009)http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/10-immune-system-busters-boosters?page=2
- WebMD. "Exercise and Depression." 2008. (April 27, 2009)http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression
- Wincher, David. "To Keep Job, Be Worth More than You're Paid." Arizona Daily Star. March 15, 2009. (April 27, 2009)http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/star200/283297.php
A study that wasn't even about kissing turned out to (sort of) explain why we kiss with our eyes closed. HowStuffWorks explains.