Get a Pet
Pets are admittedly a big commitment. Depending on the species of the pets, they'll probably live a long time and require a lot of day-to-day care over their lifetime. But if the Internet has taught us anything, it's that pets provide us with endless giggles at all the silly things they do, whether cat, dog or more exotic pet species. Animals can inspire a lot of joy; from their silly physical antics to their goofy personality quirks.
But pets have been increasingly proven to promote happiness in a very tangible way. For example, services are springing up around the United States that pair vets -- the veterans of recent wars, that is -- with dogs that need a loving home. These animals provide the sort of unquestioning and nonjudgmental companionship that many veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) find hard to manage with human confidantes. And that sort of therapy can definitely boost happiness levels.
Get more on techniques for acquiring a positive attitude below.
- Aaker, Jennifer and Rudd, Melanie. "If Money Doesn't Make You Happy, Consider Time." Stanford University. 2011. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://faculty-gsb.stanford.edu/aaker/pages/documents/Time_and_Happiness_JCP2010.pdf
- Aaker, Jennifer and Liu, Wendy. "Should Charities Ask for Time Before Money?" Stanford University. 2008. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://csi.gsb.stanford.edu/should-charities-ask-for-time-before-money%3F
- Doheny, Kathleen. "Post-exercise 'glow' may last 12 hours." U.S. News and World Report. May 29, 2009. (June 12, 2009) http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/healthday/2009/05/29/post-exercise-glow-may-last-12-hours.html
- Giffords, Gabrielle, Kelly, Mark, Zaslow, Jeffrey. "Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope." Scibner. November 2011.
- Goldberg, Carey. "Money makes you happy - if you spend it on others." Boston Globe. March 21, 2008. (June 12, 2009) http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/articles/2008/03/21/money_makes_you_happy___if_you_spend_it_on_others/
- Hardy, Rebecca. "The happiness workout." The Guardian. Oct. 30, 2007. (June 12, 2009) http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/oct/30/healthandwellbeing.features111
- Hillard, Gloria. "Man's Best Friend Helps Heal War Wounds." NPR. May 1, 2010. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126162874
- Horan, Tom. "Can music make us happy?" The Telegraph. Nov. 25, 2006. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/3656733/Can-music-make-us-happy.html
- Kaplan, Karen. "Happiness is contagious, research finds." Los Angeles Times. December 5, 2008. (June 12, 2009) http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/05/science/sci-happy5
- Magsamen, Sandra. "31 Ways to Get Happy -- For Free." Oprah. September 9, 2009. (Jan. 18, 2012.) http://www.oprah.com/spirit/31-Ways-to-Get-Happy-for-Free
- Mental Health Support. "Good mood food." (June 12, 2009) http://www.mentalhealthsupport.co.uk/goodmoodfood.html
- Parker-Pope, Tara. "Using Music to Lift Depression's Veil." The New York Times. Jan. 24, 2008. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/24/using-music-to-lift-depressions-veil/
- "Pets bring health, happiness and healing." University of Queensland. May 27, 2009. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://www.physorg.com/news162660892.html
- Phelps, James R. M.D. "Exercise and mood: not the usual rap." Psych Education. May 2006. (June 12, 2009) http://www.psycheducation.org/hormones/Insulin/exercise.htm
- Ramey, Valerie A. and Francis, Neville. "A Century of Work and Leisure." University of California, San Diego and University of North Carolina. May 2006. (June 12, 2009) http://www.econ.ucsd.edu/~vramey/research/Historical_Hours.pdf
- Reader's Digest. "20 Simple Ways to Get Happy." (Jan. 18, 2012) http://www.rd.com/health/20-simple-ways-to-get-happy/
- Rubin, Gretchen. "10 Ways to be Happier." Real Simple. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://www.realsimple.com/health/mind-mood/emotional-health/10-ways-happier-00000000005929/index.html
- Rubin, Gretchen. "Do you worry about your weight?" The Happiness Project. Sept. 8, 2008. (June 12, 2009) http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/2008/09/do-you-worry-ab.html
- Rubin, Gretchen. "Volunteer. Give Pro Bono. Help Others. It's the Right Thing to Do, and It Will Boost Your Happiness." The Happiness Project. April 15, 2011. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/2011/04/volunteer-give-pro-bono-help-others-its-the-right-thing-to-do-and-it-will-boost-your-happiness.html
- Seliger, Janna. "Mental health perspectives: part four." Buzzle. July 5, 2007. (June 12, 2009) http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mental-health-perspectives-part-four.html
- Sohn, Emily. "Why music makes you happy." Discovery. Jan. 10, 2011. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://news.discovery.com/human/music-dopamine-happiness-brain-110110.html
- Stuart, Julia. "How to eat your way to happiness." The Independent. June 6, 2001. (June 12, 2009) http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/how-to-eat-your-way-to-happiness-673042.html
- The Fit Map. "Complex carbohydrates." (June 12, 2009) http://www.thefitmap.co.uk/articles/nutrition/carbs.htm
- Waliczek, T.M. et al. "The Influence of Gardening Activities on Consumer Perceptions of Life Satisfaction. Hort Science. August 2005. (Jan. 18, 2012) http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/40/5/1360.short
- Zen Habits. "The 5 percent trick: finding passion and purpose in life." (June 12, 2009) http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#2CIrTQ/zenhabits.net/2009/03/passion-and-purpose-in-life//topic:Self%20Improvement
HowStuffWorks finds out what an empath is, what are some signs you're one and the pluses and minuses of being an empath.