Author's Note: Are extinct viruses coming back thanks to climate change?
I just recovered from an everyday, garden-variety virus the last a couple of weeks and can't imagine what power an ancient virus from 30,000 years ago might pack. It's enough to make you want to move into a plastic bubble -- or at least take the idea of climate change a little more seriously.
More Great Links
- Ghose, Tia. "Giant Virus Resurrected from Permafrost After 30,000 Years." LiveScience. March 3, 2014. (March 29, 2015) http://www.livescience.com/43800-giant-virus-found-permafrost.html
- Kinder, Lucy. "Giant Virus Comes Back to Life After Lying Frozen for 30,000 Years." The Telegraph. March 4, 2014. (March 29, 2015) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/10675267/Giant-virus-comes-back-to-life-after-lying-frozen-for-30000-years.html
- Legendre, Matthieu et al. "Thirty-Thousand-Year-Old Distant Relative of Giant Icosahedral DNA Viruses with a Pandoravirus Morphology." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 111, 11. 4274–4279. March 3, 2014. (March 29, 2015) http://www.pnas.org/content/111/11/4274.full
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Climatic Data Center. "Global Analysis -- February 2015." Feb. 2015. (April 4, 2015) https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2015/2
- Sirucek, Stefan. "Ancient 'Giant Virus' Revived From Siberian Permafrost" National Geographic. March 3, 2014. (March 29, 2015) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140303-giant-virus-permafrost-siberia-pithovirus-pandoravirus-science/
- Smith, Brett. "World's Largest Virus Discovered by French Researchers." RedOrbit. July 19, 2013. (April 28, 2015) http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112902168/largest-virus-ever-discovered-071913/
- Von Etten, James L. "Giant Viruses." American Scientist. July-Aug. 2011 (April 28, 2015) http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/2011/4/giant-viruses/1