Lots More Information
Chimerism challenges the notion of one set of DNA for one person. HowStuffWorks delves into this unusual condition.
Author's Note: 10 Ways We're Using Data to Fight Disease
Reading about the ways in which data can be crowdsourced for the good really made me want to participate in something like FluNearYou. It would feel great to be one of the pieces of data that helps shape the picture of the health landscape, thereby affecting the way doctors choose treatment plans. Everyone can do their own little part!
More Great Links
- American Society of Addiction Medicine. "Opioid Addiction, 2016 Facts & Figures." (Oct. 6, 2016) http://www.asam.org/docs/default-source/advocacy/opioid-addiction-disease-facts-figures.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Heart Disease Facts." Aug 10, 2015. (Oct. 6, 2016) http://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "How Flu Spreads." Aug 15, 2015. (Oct. 6, 2016) http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Seasonal Influenza, More Information." May 4, 2016. (Oct. 6, 2016) http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/disease.htm
- D'Angelo, Chris. "How a Stubborn Pediatrician Forced the State to Take Flint's Water Crisis Seriously." Huffington Post. Jan 23, 2016. (Oct. 6, 2016) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pediatrician-forced-state-to-take-flint-crisis-seriously_us_569febbfe4b076aadcc5014e
- Feber, Kit. "How is Data Science Fighting Disease?" LinkedIn. Feb. 19, 2016. (Oct. 6, 2016) https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-data-science-fighting-disease-kit-feber
- Fortunati, Rachel. "Mapping Ebola to prepare for future outbreaks." Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. (Oct. 6, 2016) http://www.healthdata.org/acting-data/mapping-ebola-prepare-future-outbreaks
- Gaglioti, Anne. Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, Morehouse School of Medicine. Personal Interview. Sept. 26, 2016.
- Lazer, David; Kennedy, Ryan. "What We Can Learn From the Epic Failure of Google Flu Trends." Wired. Oct. 1, 2015. (Oct. 6, 2016) https://www.wired.com/2015/10/can-learn-epic-failure-google-flu-trends/
- National Institutes of Health. "Health and financial analysis reinforces NIH's decision to fund Women's Health Initiative." May 5, 2014. (Oct 7, 2016) https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/press-releases/2014/health-and-financial-analysis-reinforces-nihs-decision-to-fund-womens-health-initiative
- Parkinson's Disease Foundation. "Statistics on Parkinson's." 2016. (Nov. 1, 2016) http://www.pdf.org/en/parkinson_statistics
- Toliver, Zachary. "The Opioid Epidemic: Rural Organizations Fighting Back." The Rural Monitor. June 13, 2016. (Nov. 1, 2016). https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/rural-monitor/opioid-epidemic-rural-organizations-fight-back/
- Ungerleider, Neal. "Using Data, Scientists Can Predict Disease Outbreaks." Fast Company. Sept. 30, 2013. (Oct. 6, 2016) https://www.fastcompany.com/3018843/fast-feed/using-data-scientists-can-predict-disease-outbreaks
- U.S. Preventative Services Task Force. "Breast Cancer: Screening." Jan. 2016. (Nov. 1, 2016) https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/UpdateSummaryFinal/breast-cancer-screening1?ds=1&s=breast%20cancer