Author's Note: How CRISPR Gene Editing Works
Writing articles like this scares me. This technology is so, so exciting. The implications generally seem so very cool, but it also feels like we have started to figure out so much about how to manipulate life with technology that we're bound to screw up at some point. CRISPR gives us so much power — and in ways that we can't anticipate. The world works well, you know? Messing with it is just scary. Then again, how could we ignore such a powerful technique that could help us in so many ways?
More Great Links
- Brennan, Zachary. "Human Gene Editing, CRISPR and FDA: How Will They Mix?" Regulatory Affairs Professional Society. Dec. 2, 2015. (April 29, 2016) http://www.raps.org/Regulatory-Focus/News/2015/12/02/23708/Human-Gene-Editing-CRISPR-and-FDA-How-Will-They-Mix/
- Brown, Kristen V. "Inside the garage labs of DIY gene hackers, whose hobby may terrify you." Fusion. March 29, 2016. (April 13, 2016) http://fusion.net/story/285454/diy-crispr-biohackers-garage-labs/
- Ledford, Heidi. "CRISPR, the disruptor." Nature. Volume 522. Pages 20-24. 2015.
- Ledford, Heidi. "CRISPR, the disruptor." Nature. Volume 522. Pages 20-24. 2015. http://www.nature.com/news/crispr-the-disruptor-1.17673
- Maxmen, Amy. "The Genesis Engine." Wired. August 2015. (April 13, 2016) http://www.wired.com/2015/07/crispr-dna-editing-2/
- Radiolab. "Antibodies Part 1: CRISPR" June 6, 2015. (April 13, 2016) http://www.radiolab.org/story/antibodies-part-1-crispr/
- Regalado, Antonio. "Who Owns the Biggest Biotech Discovery of the Century?" MIT Technology Review. Dec 4, 2014. (April 19, 2016) https://www.technologyreview.com/s/532796/who-owns-the-biggest-biotech-discovery-of-the-century/
- Petree, Jessica. Graduate Student in Chemistry, Emory University. Personal correspondence. April 13, 2015.
- Stoye, Emma. "Crispr-edited mushroom dodges regulation." Chemistry World. April 26, 2016. (April 29, 2016) http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2016/04/crispr-gene-editing-mushroom-dodges-gmo-regulation
- Zimmer, Carl. "Breakthrough DNA Editor Born of Bacteria." Quanta Magazine. Feb 6, 2015. (April 13, 2016) https://www.quantamagazine.org/20150206-crispr-dna-editor-bacteria/