Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Gene Pools Work
- How Organic Farming Works
- How Organic Certification Works
- How Locavores Work
- How Thanksgiving Works
- Why do ostriches have red meat instead of white?
- Why are British scientists creating a human-pig hybrid?
- What are genetically modified GM foods?
- Will a turkey really drown if it looks up during a rainstorm?
- Bird Quiz
More Great Links
- "BARC e-Update." Beltsville Agricultural Research Center. U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2007. http://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFiles/Place/12000000/e-Update /e-update_Nov07.pdf
- "Bird Words: Translating the Label." Washington Post. 2006. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/14/AR2006111400284.html
- "Definition of a Heritage Turkey." American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/turkdefinition.html
- Digitale, Robert. "Heritage Turkeys." Press Democrat. 2008. http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20081024/NEWS/810240338/1033
- Earl, James, Mary C. Kennamer, and Ron Brenneman. "History of the Wild Turkey in North America." NWTF Wildlife Bulletin No.15. National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_14.pdf
- Elias, Paul. "Building a Better Turkey Through Biotech." LiveScience. 2004. http://www.livescience.com/animals/biotech_turkey_041124.html
- Hack, Tobin. "What's the difference between genetic engineering and selective breeding?" Plenty Magazine. 2008. http://www.plentymag.com/ask/2008/10/whats_the_difference_between_g.php
- Kliman, Todd, Cynthia Hacinli, and Ann Limpert. "Are Heritage Turkeys Worth the Money?" Washingtonian. 2006. http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/bestbites/1914.html
- Mapes, Lynda V. "Pilgrims Progress." Seattle Times. 2007. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw10212007/2003957455_pacificpturkeys21.html
- Martins, Patrick. "About a Bird." New York Times. 2003. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B07E1DB123BF937A15752C1A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all
- "Selective Breeding." Biology Online. http://www.biology-online.org/2/12_selective_breeding.htm
- Severson, Kim. "Preservation's Progress." New York Times. 2007. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D03E3DD143BF934A35752C1A9619C8B63
- Zwillich, Todd. "No Labels for Genetically Engineered Food." WebMD. 2008. http://www.webmd.com/news/20080918/no-labels-for-genetically-engineered_food