Lots More Information
Author's Note: What causes mental illness?
If you're really interested in what causes mental illness, three pages won't do. Research these days is being done at a steady clip to find any indications how genetics or outside influences affect the functioning of the human brain. To keep up to date, don't feel the need to subscribe to the heady scientific journals; just keep up with the news.
- Chudler, Eric H. "Schizophrenia." Neuroscience for Kids; University of Washington. March 1, 2013. (March 5, 2013) http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/schiz.html
- Encyclopædia Britannica. "Mental Disorder." Encyclopædia Britannica Online Library Edition. 2013. (March 5, 2013) http://www.library.eb.com/eb/article-32320
- Healy, Melissa. "Spanking linked to increased risk of mental problems." Los Angeles Times. July 2, 2012. (March 5, 2013) http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/02/news/la-heb-spanking-mental-health-problems-20120702
- Hyman, Steven E. "The genetics of mental illness: implications for practice." Bulletin of the World Health Organizations. 2000. (March 5, 2013) http://www.who.int/bulletin/archives/78(4)455.pdf
- Kolata, Gina. "5 Disorders Share Genetic Risk Factors, Study Finds." The New York Times. Feb. 28, 2013. (March 5, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/health/study-finds-genetic-risk-factors-shared-by-5-psychiatric-disorders.html?ref=ginakolata&_r=0
- Mayo Clinic. "Mental Illness." Mayo Clinic. 2013. (March 5, 2013) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mental-illness/DS01104/DSECTION=causes
- Rüegg, Peter. "Malign environmental combination favours schizophrenia." Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich. Feb. 28, 2013. (March 5, 2013) http://www.ethlife.ethz.ch/archive_articles/130301_schizophrenie_per/index_EN
- Rutter, Michael. "How the environment affects mental health." The British Journal of Psychiatry. Nov. 8, 2004. (March 5, 2013) http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/186/1/4.full
- Schmidt, Charles W. "Environmental Connections: A deeper look into mental illness." Environmental Health Perspectives. August 2007. (March 5, 2013) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1940091/
- Weir, Kirsten. "The roots of mental illness." Monitor on Psychology. June 2012. (March 5, 2013) http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/06/roots.aspx