Author's Note: How Ninja Particles Work
It's the best when something that has a cool name really lives up to its name. And ninja particles are about as awesome as their name implies. As I was writing this article, I loved imagining these particles stealthily zipping through the body, finding the bad bacteria guys and slitting them open. This research is so promising; I can't wait to find these particles on the market. The only part that makes me sad is that when they do one day make it into our personal care products or in our medications, that I won't be able to scroll through the ingredients and see "ninja particles" listed. Sadly, I think the FDA and other regulating organizations may require their actual chemical names. Too bad.
- Borel, Brooke. "The Age of Antibiotics is Over." Popular Science. July 7, 2014. (Dec. 5, 2014) http://www.popsci.com/article/science/age-antibiotics-over
- Engler, Amanda C.; Tan, Jeremy P.K.; Ong, Zhan Yuan; Coady, Daniel J.; Ng, Victor W.L.; Yang, Yi Yan; Hedrick, James L. "Antimicrobial Polycarbonates: Investigating the Impact of Balancing Charge and Hydrophobicity Using a Same-Centered Polymer Approach." Biomacromolecules. Vol. 14. pp. 4331-4339. 2013.
- Engler, Amanda C.; Wiradharma, Nikken; Ong, Zhan Yuin; Coady, Daniel J.; Hedrick, James; Yang, Yi Yan. "Emerging Trends in Macromolecular Antimicrobials to Fight Multi-Drug-Resistant Infections." Nano Today. Vol. 7. pp. 201-222. 2012.
- Fukushima, Kazuki; Tan, Jeremy P.K.; Korevaar, Peter A.; Yang, Yi Yan; Pitera, Jed; Nelson, Alshakim; Maune, Hareem; Coady, Daniel J.; Frommer, Jane E.; Engler, Amanda C.; Huang, Yuan; Xu, Kaijin; Ji, Zhongkang; Qiao, Yuan; Fan, Weimin; Li, Lanjuan; Wiradharma, Nikken; Meijer, E.W.; Hedrick, James L. "Broad-Spectrum Antimicrobial Supramolecular Assemblies with Distinctive Size and Shape." ACS Nano. Vol. 6. pp. 9191-9199. 2012.
- Gao, Weiwei; Thamphiwatana, Soracha; Angsantikul, Pavimol; Zhang, Liangfang. "Nanoparticle approaches against bacterial infections." Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews – Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology. Vol. 6. pp. 532-547. 2014.
- Hastings, Patty. "IBM discovers 'ninja particles' to destroy MRSA." Medill Reports – Chicago, Northwestern University. April 20, 2011. (Nov. 21, 2014) http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=185145
- Hedrick, James. Research Scientist, IBM. Personal interview. Dec. 2, 2014.
- IBM. "Ninja Polymers." Dec. 8, 2013. (Dec. 5, 2014) http://www.research.ibm.com/articles/nanomedicine.shtml#fbid=3zMVTpAmoST
- Kane, Jason. "FRONTLINE asks: Has the age of antibiotics come to an end?" PBS Newshour. Oct. 22, 2013. (Nov. 21, 2014) http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/frontline-asks-has-the-age-of-antibiotics-come-to-an-end/
- Liu, Shao Qiong; Yang, Chuan; Huang, Yuan; Ding, Xin; Li, Yan; Fan, Wei Min; Hedrick, James L.; Yang, Yi Yan. "Antimicrobial and Antifouling Hydrogels Formed In Situ from Polycarbonate and Poly(ethylene glycol) via Michael Addition." Advanced Materials. Vol. 24. pp. 6484-6489. 2012.
- Millstone, Jill. Assistant Professor of Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh. Personal interview. Dec. 2, 2014.
- Murthy, Shashi K. "Nanoparticles in modern medicine: State of the art and future challenges." International Journal of Nanomedicine. Vol. 2. pp. 129-141. 2007.
- Nederberg, Fredrik; Zhang, Ying; Tan, Jeremy P. K.; Xu, Kaijin; Wang, Huaying; Yang, Chuan; Gao, Shujun; Guo, Xin Dong; Fukushima, Kazuki; Li, Lanjuan; Hedrick, James; Yang, Yi Yan. "Biodegradable nanostructures with selective lysis of microbial membranes." Nature Chemistry. Vol. 3. pp.409-414. 2011.
- Ng, Victor W.L.; Tan, Jeremy P.K.; Leong, Jiayu; Voo, Zhi Xiang; Hedrick, James L. Yang, Yi Yan. "Antimicrobial Polycarbonates: Investigating the Impact of Nitrogen-Containing Heterocycles as Quaternizing Agents." Macromolecules. Vol. 47. pp. 1285-1291. 2014.
- Qiao, Yuan; Yang, Chuan; Coady, Daniel J.; Ong, Zhan Yuin; Hedrick, James; Yang, Yi Yan. " Highly dynamic biodegradable micelles capable of lysing Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacterial membrane." Biomaterials. Vol. 33. pp. 1146-1153. 2012.
- Salaita, Khalid. Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Emory University. Personal interview. Nov. 23, 2014.
- Volpe, Joseph. "IBM's 'Ninja Particles' could stop the rise of superbugs." Engadget. Sept. 11, 2014. (Nov. 21, 2014) http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/11/ibm-ninja-particles-could-stop-superbugs/
- Yang, Chuan; Ding, Xin; Ono, Robert J.; Lee, Haeshin; Hsu, Li Yang; Tong, Yen Wah; Hedrick, James; Yang, Yi Yan. "Brush-like Polycarbonates Containing Dopamine, Cations, and PEG Providing a Broad-Spectrum, Antibacterial, and Antifouling Surface via One-Step Coating." Advanced Materials. Vol. 26. pp. 7346-7351. 2014.
- Zhu, Xi; Radovic-Moreno, Aleksandar F.; Wu, Jun; Langer, Robert; Shi, Jinjun. "Nanomedicine in the management of microbial infection – Overview and perspectives." Nano Today. Vol. 9. pp. 478-498. 2014.