Author's Note: How Millimeter Wave Scanners Work
Given the long pedigree of millimeter waves and the advances they've enabled in medicine, astronomy and meteorology, I'm surprised so few people have praised mmw scanners as a practical, lifesaving tool. Personally, I'm willing to let the machines look under my clothes as long as they catch the would-be terrorist trying to board the same plane.
- What's the difference between backscatter machines and millimeter wave scanners?
- How Backscatter X-ray Systems Work
- Do backscatter X-ray systems pose a risk to frequent fliers?
- How Airport Security Works
- How do liquid explosives work, and what would terrorists do with them on a plane?
- How Metal Detectors Work
- Aren't there machines that can detect liquid explosives?
- Brown, Stuart F. "Weapons Revealed." Scientific American. April 2008.
- Burns, Bob. "Which is it: Millimeter Wave or Backscatter?" The TSA Blog. May 27, 2008. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://blog.tsa.gov/2008/05/which-is-it-millimeter-wave-or.html
- Choi, Charles Q. "Yes We Scan: Have Post-9/11 Airport Screening Technologies Made Us Safer?" Scientific American. Sept. 6, 2011. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=have-new-airport-screening-technologies-inspired-by-9-11-made-us-safer
- Grabell, Michael. "TSA Removes X-Ray Body Scanners From Major Airports." ProPublica. Oct. 19, 2012. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.propublica.org/article/tsa-removes-x-ray-body-scanners-from-major-airports
- Grabell, Michael and Christian Salewski. "Sweating Bullets: Body Scanners Can See Perspiration as a Potential Weapon." ProPublica. Dec. 19, 2011. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.propublica.org/article/sweating-bullets-body-scanners-can-see-perspiration-as-a-potential-weapon
- Groeger, Lena. "Scanning the Scanners: A Side-by-Side Comparison." ProPublica. Dec. 28, 2011. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.propublica.org/special/scanning-the-scanners-a-side-by-side-comparison
- Hasler, Joe P. "The Truth About TSA Airport Scanning." Popular Mechanics. Nov. 18, 2010. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/aviation/safety/the-truth-about-tsa-airport-scanning
- Knox, Richard. "Scientists Question Safety of New Airport Scanners." NPR. May 17, 2010. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126833083
- L-3 Communications. "ProVision Advanced Imaging Technology." (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.sds.l-3com.com/advancedimaging/provision.htm
- McCullagh, Declan. "Feds admit storing checkpoint body scan images." CNET. Aug. 4, 2010. (Nov. 27, 2012) http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20012583-281.html
- Moseman, Andrew. "What's the Real Radiation Risk of the TSA's Full Body X-Ray Scans?" Discover Magazine. Nov. 17, 2010. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/11/17/whats-the-real-radiation-risk-of-the-tsas-full-body-x-ray-scans/
- Paddock, Catharine. "Radiation Risk From Full-Body Airport Scanners Very Low, New Analysis." Medical News Today. March 29, 2011. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/220470.php
- Paur, Jason. "Questions Linger on Safety of Airport Body Scanners." Wired. Dec. 22, 2011. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/12/questions-linger-on-safety-of-airport-body-scanners/
- Rabin, Roni Caryn. "X-Ray Scans at Airports Leave Lingering Worries." The New York Times. Aug. 6, 2012. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/x-ray-scans-at-airports-leave-lingering-worries/
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA). "Advanced Imaging Technology: AIT: How It Works." Oct. 24, 2012. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.tsa.gov/ait-how-it-works
- Winter, Michael. "TSA replaces X-ray scanners at some major airports." USA Today. Oct. 19, 2012. (Oct. 30, 2012) http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/ondeadline/2012/10/19/tsa-x-ray-scanners-replaced-millimeter-wave-airports/1644937/